iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Treating with Bora Care or TimBor or other

Started by E-Tex, October 21, 2017, 07:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

when and how do you treat with Bora Care or Timbor? 

1. Do you apply fresh off the sawmill while you're stickering?
2. Do you apply with a pump sprayer and completely soak each board before stickering?
3. Are additional treatments needed?....ie: after air dried?  or necessary after kiln dried (or would this simply make the wood "wet" again?)

I plan to cut a large amount of slabs / mantles this winter out of ERC/Sycamore/Elm/Sweetgum/Oaks.  I know It will take 6-9-12+ months to air-dry (and "get ready" for a kiln once moisture levels are lower).  I want to make sure I can protect them as much as possible.

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

ps.....I'm a new member.

Been a reader for 5-6 months, but now a new FF member.
L2 Sawmill LLC

Don P

There are a bunch of old threads on here about it.
It is best applied green right off the saw.
I actually think a heavy nap roller is faster and does a better job than a sprayer. A drop or two of dish soap helps break that dry bubble that likes to form and wets out the wood quicker. A simple dip tank helps conserve material and does a better job.
I've been treating wood as we saw it on the current job but am then planing it right before we nail it up, then we are spraying it one more time to get a good surface treatment. But generally no you wouldn't treat it again after that initial treatment.

E-Tex

makes sense to treat right off the sawmill and then sticker.  A big concern I have is after drying; taking the boards and edging, planning, sanding, etc..... and BREATHING the sawdust with this stuff in it.  I guess wear a respirator.
L2 Sawmill LLC

WDH

I have had no respiratory issues with it at all. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Welcome to the FF!

Bora-care is typically the best product for dry lumber, and TimBor is the better selection for green lumber.  I use a 15% Timbor Mixture (three scoops per gallon of warm water).

My preferred application method is to use a backpack Solo sprayer that I've modified to accept a pressure washer spray gun.  I place the pressure washer nozzle directly into the spray gun where the wand would go and it provides a very fast, consistent application of the fluid. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

I spray as soon as the board comes off the log, using a diaphragm pump spray gun and 25 gallon tank.  Not all species gets sprayed.

This stuff is very safe to use.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Savannahdan

Do you reapply after the boards are planed/sanded? 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

I do not because they are stored inside a building.  If you stored outside under a shed, you might have issues later on. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Don't think you'll need to treat the ERC since most bugs won't touch it...

Savannahdan

Thanks, WDH.  I'm working on plans for a reduced size solar kiln and will be reconstructing an outbuilding specifically for housing lumber that's been treated and kiln dried. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

YellowHammer

Quote from: Savannahdan on October 23, 2017, 07:44:39 AM
Do you reapply after the boards are planed/sanded?
In order to reapply the product, th kiln dried and sanded wood would have to be rewetted pretty heavily.  That could be  era detrimental to the finished boards.  It also leaves a whitish residue that detracts from the appearance of finished wood.

By far the best approach is to store the wood inside somewhere to protect it.  We couldn't park in our garage for several years for all the wood stacked in it. ;D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!