iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas adjustment help please

Started by Brad_S., October 19, 2017, 07:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I am early on into the learning curve of a new to me Lucas 8-27.
This afternoon as I was sawing, all was going great but then I shreded a drive belt. I changed out the belts and when I started sawing again, the vertical cut was cutting too deep and the horizontal release cut was sawing too far into the next board as well. It was worse at one end of the logs than the other.

I checked the manual and did not see any adjustments to correct the problem. Any idea how I got myself into this mess and what I can do to get out of it?

On the left, everything was going well until I changed the belts.  I then started getting the deep cuts on the right.

Release cut is sawing into the next board.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

dgdrls

Lay a framing square in the log and see how far out you are.
Next check the transmission pivot make certain its not jambed
with a piece of broken belt.  Of-course check the rollers etc.

There are only 4 adjustments and the manual should provide you
all you need.  Chapter 6.  If you need the scans I would check with Baileys

D

fishpharmer

My first guess is tension in the log caused movement of the log itself.  A pinched blade will shred a belt in my experience.  If all the factory adjustments meet specification consider movement of the log as you release tension. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ButchC

Similar experiancs have always been the result of tension release in the log or the log moved. It will make a person wonder what the heck is going on the first few times, that's for certain!  Look at your lumber, if it is crooked then log tension has bitten you.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

terrifictimbersllc

The vertical intersect (or release as you call it) adjustment on my Peterson is simply turning one or the other of 2 bolts/lock nut whose heads touch to stop the swing travel when the blade is brought vertical.  Too much swing, get what you are showing.  Too little and I'm breaking the board loose with a pry bar. Find happy medium.  Stress can definitely affect it in places.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Forester

Lucas has a new video on mill adjustment.  I got a copy through Bailey's.  If found it to be very helpful and informative.

NZJake

Due to the irregularity of the cut I'd say put a new blade on then consider adjusting. To me it looks like the blade has been burnt. Probably have a purple spot on the blade as evidence.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

scmilling

Those cuts look like tension in the log issues to me especially the cuts failing to intersect, and the knotty tight grain around the branch union. If it was doing this before belt fail to any degree try other clean grained logs first. Adjustments to the settings is a last resort unless you're sure something has been kicked out of line which is unlikely. I am a commercial lucas miller and do see stress issues like this occasionally. You could try flipping the log to work a different grain angle. If that doesn't work reject the log !
Shaun .
-Think I need a bigger hammer !

Brad_S.

Thank you all for the replies. It appears it was log stress. When I finished that course, I took a thin layer off to clean up the log and my next course was back to normal.

I will check out that Lucas video. I am much better at watching instructions than reading instructions.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

scmilling

Hey Brad.
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Exactly the right process in taking off levelling cuts to restore order. Stress in logs always causes havoc in a sawmill, especially a swing mill, where movement amplifies with each cut especially with larger dimensions.
Did you replace all belts or just the failed one? They should be replaced as matched pairs (or triples in the case of the 10" model). Also keep them correctly adjusted . No more than half inch deflection.  Recheck after any belt slip.
Keep the tips sharp. If you're having to push hard somethings wrong and the blade will be pushed offline.
Good luck, stay safe and enjoy
Shaun
-Think I need a bigger hammer !

Don P

From the Armstrong school of wrenching... it is quite easy to over tension the belts and shred them as well.

js2743

try a new log before trying to adjust anything.

Thank You Sponsors!