iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rocks in waiting

Started by thecfarm, October 19, 2017, 11:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Yea,rocks in waiting.  :D
First off,the woods road. This wet area has nothing to do with the bog that I posted about a week ago.

This is not really a woods road,but goes to the back field. We use to go across this wet area only a few times a year. Mostly haying season. Tires would get wet going over it. When I had my land logged they used it and made a mess of the wet hole. Yes,they smoothed it over,but the few rocks that held me up was long gone. Could of got by with the wet area,but wanted to fix it.Once and for all.
These are the rocks in waiting. And yes,that is a yard stick.

The reason they are rocks in waiting,too big. I have some rocks all ready there,and with these being 3 feet across,they are a little too big. When I haul in some that are not so big,these in waiting will be put in and be just right.

This is on the end of the rocky road.

This is facing towards the rocks in waiting. You can see them just over the yellow yardstick.

These rocks came from the stonewall that I am moving. Tractor don't really like the rocks that big. It's easier to haul them here instead of way down into the bog.This road is close to the house. Can almost see the house from here.
I will put smaller one between the big ones. This road is getting a layer of dirt. I get dirt from an area that is real close by,so it's handy.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coalsmok

You may want to invest in a set of feathers and wedges. You could then make your big rocks more manageable. Drill a few holes and tap them tight with a hammer.

thecfarm

I have been thinking about a drill. I have some I cannot wiggle.
And since you seem to be in the know,what would I need? I have drilled through my cement foundation with some sort of drill and bit that I rented. Same thing?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

You need a rotary hammer drill and some basic bits to drill the line of holes youll pound the wedges into.

Hilti is the top dog and they do make cordless.  I have a 36v.  You can just about weld with the battery pack. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

:o  Guess I better get my sawmill going to buy one. Wonder how much bits are. Another  :o   :)

teakwood

Put those rocks thru a jaw crusher and make nice 4-5" gravel for you roads!! ;D ;D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

coxy

Quote from: coalsmok on October 19, 2017, 03:44:17 PM
You may want to invest in a set of feathers and wedges.
we call them plug and feather wedges here  ;D most that are still in use here are hydraulic no more pounding with hammer  they use them in the blue stone quarrys

coalsmok

I bought 10 sets a year or so ago for under $100. I just use a cordless drill with a masonry bit and drill a line of holes. If you want to go extreme cordless you could use a star drill and hand sledge to drill them, but that's to much like work for me.
I have a large rock that needs broke up to move some time sooner than later. I may take some pics when I do. Firewood is at the top of the to do list at the moment though.  I'm way behind this year for some reason.

mike_belben

Quote from: thecfarm on October 19, 2017, 09:14:22 PM
:o  Guess I better get my sawmill going to buy one. Wonder how much bits are. Another  :o   :)

Bits arent bad.. home depot stuff, even harbor freight has em. Its the hilti thatll make you poor for a while. 
Praise The Lord

Peter Drouin

Why don't you get a Deere like I did and fix anything you want. Look around you can get one I bet for less than $ 30,000. Makes life easy.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

How right you are.
But I don't run a sawmill for a living ,so I can't afford a $30,000 toy.  ;D  :D
I have thought about it,than an old junker 10 wheeler,with no tail gate, to haul the rocks away,than a bull dozer to push them into place.

teakwood

I think you can get a excavator way cheaper than 30k
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Start with the hilti.   :D
Praise The Lord

Offthebeatenpath

Ray- I have three electric Hilte rock drills, generators to power them, and more drill bits and feathers and wedges than you'd ever need. If you're serious about splitting some stone, we could try to figure out a time to get together. I'd love to have a tangible reason to check out your farm...

I'm pretty dang busy these days building trails, but when the weather turns I may have a bit of time.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

thecfarm

Well how about that!! Thank you Jed. Most weeks I have Thursdays and Sundays off. But that is not in stone either.  :D  I suppose your lessons are free?  ;D  I never done anything like that at all. I will feed ya.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on October 21, 2017, 05:52:17 AM
How right you are.
But I don't run a sawmill for a living ,so I can't afford a $30,000 toy.  ;D  :D
I have thought about it,than an old junker 10 wheeler,with no tail gate, to haul the rocks away,than a bull dozer to push them into place.

I bought it long before the mill thing, for around my land. It just I see them old slow things out there for cheep.
Most want the small ones with a blade. Just think you could take the nice flat stones you come across, the ones the Masons want and put them some where they could get to them Around here I guy can get $200 to 300 a ton. And the best thing you don't have to stick them.  :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

That is how we paid for the tractor. Worked it in the woods.Had it paid off quick. Same with a excavator. Would not take long at 2-300 a ton to pay it off. But I don't have many flat ones,just round ones. Of all the 100's that I have dug up,only about 10 have been flat. Most I have kept for some project. Most of them are just about all the tractor wants too.
You also said small. With what I have to dig out,small would not be a good choice.

SwampDonkey

Can't buy nothing cheap up here, even when it's about worn out. People still think it's worth gold.  ;D ;) You'd have to be real lucky to find a fella selling one in a giving mood. :D

If I was building a road, I would just hire it. I can't afford an expensive piece of equipment as a play toy. ;) I have a tractor with back hoe on it, but it's no heavy excavator. My woods isn't rocky like Ray's. Mostly softball sized and gravelly and occasionally tire size, not truck size. So the tractor can handle all them fine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offthebeatenpath

A Sunday could likely work for me Ray. And I rarely mind taking my pay in edibles... only thing I'd ask is if we break any drill bits that they get replaced. I could give you a quick lesson and leave the gear at your house for awhile for you to play with if you want.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

thecfarm

Thank You Sponsors!