iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine Identification

Started by Wrenchman, October 23, 2017, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrenchman

Hi guys,

Looking for some help in identifying what engine is in a 1996 Valmet 546 series II forwarder. I know its a Ford diesel, but beyond that I can find no tags on the engine anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Gary_C

I think it is a Ford 4.4L 268ci BSD engine. They were made in Brazil and obsoleted back in 1996 or there about so no major parts are available and few wear parts either.

Roland Machinery in Escanaba is your best bet for more info and any parts you might be able to find. Do you have a specific problem now?

I do have a complete engine still in a 546 Harvester sitting in my yard. It needs an overhaul as it went under water but if you need something send me a message. I may still have the engine manual in the service manual if that helps.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Wrenchman

Thanks Gary_C. Just looked up pics for it, looks identical to what's in there.

No, no issues with it. Just had no specs for it whatsoever, wanted to put a block heater into it for the winter.

If I need anything for it in the future, I will definitely keep your engine in mind!

snowstorm

My valmet tech manual days 268 ci.102 hp.this may be older than what you have. I know they rated the later one at 125hp. I thought they were made in England. I would assume it was also used in a farm tractor. In 1991 overdo it fiat fiat bought the Ford tractor line then in 98 bought case ih. So new holland may have what you need. The problem is its a industrial motor and the ag dealers cant look it up. I went through this with an iveco in a rottne. I got lucky cause the 7.5 iveco was also a marine engine. The marine dealer got the part numbers. Some I got from them some from a new Holland ag dealer. The part numbers were the same

snowstorm

Maybe this will help.my book says Ford 7610 or 7710. Would that be the tractor they were also used in?

chevytaHOE5674

The 268ci was indeed used in the 7610 and 7710 tractors. Kind of an oddball as it wasn't used as widely as the 256ci motor, but most parts are obtainable from either New Holland or aftermarket suppliers.

Gary_C

It's my understanding that Ford at some point put a longer stroke crank in the original engine which slightly increased the displacement and compression ratio to get more power out of that engine. More power was especially needed in the 546 Harvester and even after the increase if you wanted to upshift the powershift to 3rd, you better be moving fast and downhill.

After they upgraded the power, they had more engine problems but what killed that engine was the soon (at that time) to be enacted particulate regulations and rather than a total redesign, Ford opted to kill the engine and parts manufacturing which was in Brazil.

One of the problems with that engine in the Valmets was the way it was installed it was impossible (many have tried) to substitute another engine in those machines. Valmet did a total redesign and went to the 600 series machines/644,646,etc. with Cummins engines.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Wrenchman

Understand what you mean with 3rd gear...lol! Definitely a lack of power there.

Just bought this machine a few weeks back, supposedly there is a new crate engine in it that the previous owner bought one off the internet. Never had a Valmet before, so its been an adventure learning about it.

Appreciate all the info already!! Good to know I can find parts from tractor dealerships.

chevytaHOE5674

Where abouts in the UP are you? What are you cutting with?

Wrenchman

Central UP, Escanaba area. Contracted to a fellow logger cutting with an older Ponsse dangle head. We both work full time, doing this as part time work after work.

Thank You Sponsors!