iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anit-vibration gloves, or other solutions?

Started by Engineer, October 18, 2017, 04:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I recently have been suffering from some pain and numbness in my left hand, which is highly noticeable when operating a chainsaw, but has now gotten to the point where it is remaining for hours or days afterwards. Symptoms during operation are similar to the old "hand-falling-asleep" and later "pins-and-needles" feeling, but long after I am done cutting, I am getting what might be described as arthritic pain, where my hand cramps up and almost becomes claw-like and I can't move my fingers for a few minutes, to long-term numbness where the joints are stiff and I can't do simple things like turn the pages of a book. I have tried holding the saw in different ways, loosening my grip or moving it around, but the more I operate the saw, the longer the symptoms last. The medical term is HAVS, or Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome. Probably has some relation to Carpal Tunnel or arthritis as well. This is not a formal diagnosis, just speculation based on experience and symptoms.

What I am hoping for from this post is to get a sense of what others are doing to combat this problem. I am posting this in multiple forums to get a better idea from various types of users, what they rely on for anti-vibration gloves. I know I need to do something, just not sure what direction to go here. I use a basic unlined Wells-Lamont leather glove for wood cutting, but it provides zero anti-vibe protection. The saws I use are Dolmars, and they have good anti-vibe but it happens with any saw I use now. The smaller displacement ones are the worst. I need help, not marketing hype. Any takers here? What is your solution?

BradMarks

Nerve damage, Carpal Tunnel, and arthritis are ALL at work is my guess. I've had a non surgical (as in never to be done!) case of CT for 25+yrs. As long as I don't do activities that irritate it, I'm OK, but start painting, hammering, chainsawing, it's another story. Mostly numbness, but sometimes that "claw" you describe.  Rest, rest, rest the wrist/hand.  I've experienced the violent reaction of the fingers "doing their own thing", like they dislocate in opposite directions, just picking up a dime from the countertop. Some of the worst pain in the outside wrist comes from nerve compression(arthritis) in the neck vertebrae.  As far as a anti-vibe glove for sawing, I have no idea if available (some kind of gel pack?) or if they would even work.  Remember the term "White Finger"? that's what the condition used to be called.

gspren

It may help to use one of the wrist braces that keeps your wrist from bending down. There is a metal or plastic piece that is on the inside of your arm and extends slightly into your palm, they don't need to be overly tight, just keep your wrist from bending down.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

OH logger

a logger friend of mine was havin the same thing so he switched from stihl to dolmar saws and has no issues anymore. he says they vibrate so much less
john

HolmenTree

Hereditary genetics strongly influences whether you get carpal tunnel or not. Thankfully my Norwegian farmer ancestry helped me out. My hands are always warm with good circulation.

When I was into firewood years ago running a rubber av mount Stihl 066, I was getting some numbness while sleeping which woke me up at night. Bought a Husqvarna 372XP and a 395XP with the spring anti vibe and the problem went away.
But today all the common  pro Stihls are spring anti vibe so we're all good now in that department.

Heated handle bars on a saw can make a major impact keeping your hands in good shape. I sure like my heated steering wheel in my pickup.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Riwaka

The Stihl anti cut gloves are ok if your hands are not too big.
Hydration - drink quality mineral water, reduce the coffee? Cut the alcohol.
Treatments - acupuncture, chinese herbal medicine colour therapy, whole body assessment (the pain in hands can be problems elsewhere in the neck or shoulders etc) - osteo, physio, chiro, bowen therapy, swedish or shiatsu massage without extras etc.  wrist magnets, ginger/ garlic for circulation, flp aloe vera,

Vitamins - vitamin B supplements well known for hand/ nerve probs.

thecfarm

I wish you a ton of help with your problem.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coltbodi

Go to your local motorcycle shop and tell them what you need. I ride dirt bikes and have seen lots of stuff for vibration in the shops, never paid enough to attention to it to tell you a name or anything like that.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Thank You Sponsors!