iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2-71 detroit(never mind,tooooo loud)

Started by 47sawdust, October 16, 2017, 12:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

A C5 Tree farmer with a 2-71 detroit.What is the HP?,adequate for personal firewood use?
Thanks,Mick
Well I heard it run and I ran.No way I listen to that.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

BurkettvilleBob

Is this the machine on CL in Burnham?

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

red

The 2-71 are used on train cars for a 3phase generator, so there must be a way to quiet them down .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

BurkettvilleBob

In Maine, there's an old Treefarmer with a 271 in it, I thought it must have been something someone swapped it.

Maine logger88

Huh I didn't know they put 71 series in skidders must be tight height wise. With a good muffler plus ear muffs there not too bad even running them full time
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BurkettvilleBob

An old Franklin with a 253 just popped up too, seems like both those engines would be underpowered.

coxy

wouldn't the torque be higher on a 2cyclinder dd than on a 4cyclinder gas     

jdeere540a

I have never herd of a 271 in a skidder either. They were common in stuff like Allis chalmers hd5 dozers. My service manual says they were 54.6 hp

Dave Shepard

Odd to hear of two cylinders in skidders. Would definitely be under powered. When a Detroit loses rpms, the  torque and hp drop off like a brick off the Empire State Building.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

your not supposed to let the rpms drop  ;) :D

Maine logger88

Quote from: coxy on October 16, 2017, 06:45:39 PM
wouldn't the torque be higher on a 2cyclinder dd than on a 4cyclinder gas   
I'm not sure but I'd rather have the diesel either way at least you can let it set for a week and not have to completely re tune it lol I used to be constantly messing with plugs  points condeners and the carb when I pulled wood with a farmall super m now all I have with spark plugs is chainsaws
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: coxy on October 16, 2017, 07:48:30 PM
your not supposed to let the rpms drop  ;) :D

Somebody told me to run a 2 cycle Detroit ANGRY!  Like slam your hand in the door and start drivin! (Might have been somebody here that said that???) ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

coxy

all the old timers that drove truck that had DD said the first thing you want to do in the morning is slam your figures in the door 

larry1

I have a 2-71 in a Lincoln Welder without a gov. and we installed a truck muffler to make it quite, but it didn't work . It's the blower that makes it noisy . It may be okay for small firewood etc. but I would look around for a 3cy. DD or Cummins would be better.

47sawdust

Thanks for all your replies.I may just put a winch on a 60hp Zetor.
Mick

Sawyerfortyish

I started out with a winch on a tractor. when a dead tree along the skid trail fell over as I passed by and landed on me knocking me out of the seat and almost under a wheel it wasn't long about 2 months and we bought a 230 timberjack. I didn't get hurt from the tree falling on me but it made me realize get the right tool for the job. oh and my timberjack has a 353dd in it and sometimes I wish it had a 453. A 271 is not enough power.

mike_belben

If you cant adjust to the detroit buzz, go duetz or cummins.. Theyre both good
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!