iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first name

Started by coxy, October 16, 2017, 12:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

just wanted to know if people think its disrespect full to CALL YOUR PARENTS BY THERE FIRST NAME   I never did or I think I would have gotten a number 10 stuck where the sun dont shine 

sawguy21

I certainly never did. A young friend did at an early age starting with his dad, his half sisters did so he copied them.  A big part of the problem was his father never earned his respect, always jerking his chain and not following through on promises. Respect has to be earned.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

For me it would be very disrespectful although I have met friends their ages I do call by their first name at their request and I am comfortable with that. I always called my FIL & MIL Mr & Mrs although that is more common to call by first name.

My wife is a retired teacher and her students always called her Mrs. Green but many called me by my first name. We had 7 different foreign exchange students and some called us my first name, last one called me Mr. H and my wife Mama G.

I guess the big question is how they were raised and whether they were taught to call them by their first name. I think it is disrespectful to call anyone older or in a professional situation by their first name until they tell you to do so.

I guess that is clear as mud but circumstances and culture dictate.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

maple flats

Not proper unless the person asks you to use their first name for anyone a generation older than you, parent of not, IMHO.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

gspren

A lot of people around here started telling their children to use Mr & first name as in they call me Mr Gary. When I was growing up it was Mr & last name. When I was a substitute teacher I insisted on Mr Sprenkle as you shouldn't be too chummy with most students. Now the worst thing to get called is "too late for dinner".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

pinefeller

i was over a friends house and to my shock i was introduced as Mr Blaney to his kids. (this is how i was expected to address people when i was younger) but apparently i was a hold out. rarely do i use mr/mrs unless in a professional setting. I miss the given respect for elders. it did make me feel old for a second though.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Chuck White

Quote from: gspren on October 16, 2017, 06:41:40 PM
  A lot of people around here started telling their children to use Mr & first name as in they call me Mr Gary. When I was growing up it was Mr & last name. When I was a substitute teacher I insisted on Mr Sprenkle as you shouldn't be too chummy with most students. Now the worst thing to get called is "too late for dinner". 

Many places in the South, this seems to show MORE respect!

Example:  Mr. Tom

In this example, I'm all for it, otherwise, No!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

I am in the Mr or Mrs category.  I have shared with some the could call me Mr B versus having to my long last name.

I did have a VP tell me she was insulted to be referred to as Ma'am.  She viewed it as a term for older wome. I shared it was a show of respect.  She was new to the South. 

plowboyswr

When my wife and I met she had a 2 year old daughter. When we married I became the father of a 3 and a half year old. After the wedding everyone was trying to get her to call me daddy and she was having none of it. I stepped in and had to say for everyone to let her call me what she wanted. Which was my name. After we had been married for a little while  she slipped and called me daddy while asking me a question. It's been daddy ever since. Now would I have ever called my folks by their name no way that would be disrespectful. But in this instance it had to come from her and not be forced into it. And I got that moment of the first time she did it  ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

BobbyG

I was raised to respect my elders and they were my parents, grandparents, mentors, not my friends. I would never for a moment even consider calling them by their first names.

sawguy21

plowboyswr, I had the same thing happen when I met my future wife and her grandchildren. At first they didn't know how to get my attention except by eye contact, they didn't know what to call me. Now I am 'grampa Roy' to all but one, my stepson's stepdaughter who I love and treat like the rest still won't address me directly. She did ask if she could call Karen 'nana' which pleased Karen immensely.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

drobertson

nope, Its' mom, and dad, they are both gone now,, but never would I do that, never even thought of it,, now, my father in law and mother in law are a bit different,, conservative, but there is room for it,, Momma Sue,, and Melvyn,, its the way it is and its' ok with them,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Grizzly

Mom, Dad, Mr. and Mrs., Sir and Ma'am, Uncle and Aunt, etc.......... I use them all. My ancestors have done great work to build this country and folks put up with me as a child. I appreciate and respect all those who have gone before me and plan on addressing them all accordingly. I also notice that most folks greatly appreciate being shown respect.

My mom talks about how back in the day at potlucks and such children had to wait until adults had there food and then the children could follow. And now that she is old and attitudes have changed she sees the children going first and she again is last. I also like how when children address her by her first name she ignores them. And then when they address her correctly she enthusiastically gives them her attention. It both teaches the younger how to address an elder and causes a respect for the elder. I notice I tend to do the same now. To me this is a respect issue not a Victorian correctness issue.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

petefrom bearswamp

One of my good friends has a son now 57 yrs old and I am 80
He still calls me mister Zubal.
My kids do the same with my friend, Art Stanton and they are 56, 54 and 53
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland