iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade cleaning

Started by Coltbodi, October 16, 2017, 08:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltbodi

I have a pretty good lube delivery setup on my mill now, but the blade still gets a good bit of build up after a while and it is only on the top side where the lube is going. The blade is staying cool, I check it pretty regular and it has never been warm. Is this normal for the build up to only be on top? And the build up is behind the teeth, none on the teeth or directly behind them. I was thinking about getting some felt pad blocks and putting them on it, but I wanted to see if anyone else has used them. My worries with the felt it that they will get clogged up with sawdust and stop lubing the blade. The way I have it now I can watch the lube coming out and onto the blade, so I know for sure it is coming out and how much is coming out. I'm using water, soap, and hydraulic fluid as lube. Its pretty slick and doesn't just bit the blade and fly off as only water would. I was told by a guy from around here that pine oil is the best thing he ever used, I have some on the way.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Kbeitz

Quote from: Coltbodi on October 16, 2017, 08:08:41 AM
I have a pretty good lube delivery setup on my mill now, but the blade still gets a good bit of build up after a while and it is only on the top side where the lube is going. The blade is staying cool, I check it pretty regular and it has never been warm. Is this normal for the build up to only be on top? And the build up is behind the teeth, none on the teeth or directly behind them. I was thinking about getting some felt pad blocks and putting them on it, but I wanted to see if anyone else has used them. My worries with the felt it that they will get clogged up with sawdust and stop lubing the blade. The way I have it now I can watch the lube coming out and onto the blade, so I know for sure it is coming out and how much is coming out. I'm using water, soap, and hydraulic fluid as lube. Its pretty slick and doesn't just bit the blade and fly off as only water would. I was told by a guy from around here that pine oil is the best thing he ever used, I have some on the way.

I think it's on top because it trapped between the blade and the wheels.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Coltbodi

Oh yea, I bet you are right.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

crowhill

You might try running straight diesel fuel, as Cook's had on a post, "a drop every second." I run flat steel wheels and no problem with the diesel.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

kelLOGg

I have found that sawdust buildup around felt pads is no problem. It soaks up the diesel and perhaps provides more wiping surface area. Whether it really does benefit I can't say but it causes no drawback. Here's the setup I use:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58022.msg843717.html#msg843717
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Coltbodi

Ok that's what I was wondering. I'm going to fab some up like you have. Thanks for the help!

Log-ic

when this happened to me (sappy wood) there was usually no easy way to clean the blades on the machine.  However, I started using Bio TIX in a spray bottle.  Tix is a commonly used oil/grease remover in garages, bio Tix is from the same manufacturer but pretends to be harmless for the environment.  (seems to be right, you can clean and steam you car engine on the grass in your garten, it will stay green). 

Anyway, the mineral Tix doesn't works for wood sap, bio tix works great, also on the bandwheels.  I found out that the barbecue cleaner sprays have the same effect.  Stop the mill, spray the liquid over the hardened sap and the wheel surface, turn the wheels with hand so that you clean the whole band. 

Restart, let water flow as usual, start sawing and your band will clean itself in the log so that you can continue to cut!  works great..
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

Thank You Sponsors!