iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Tire Chains

Started by Coconut, October 14, 2017, 04:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coconut

Hi Folks ! Looking to repair some worn out links on my tire chains. Should I use clevis or quick links? Or what?  Thanks.

Oliver05262

Clevis, by all means, and don't skimp on size. Can get pretty spendy, though. Quick links are too soft, if you're talking about the ones you close up and weld together. Side benefit of clevis is the knob on the pin works as an ice stud--------for a while.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

1270d

And pay the money for better quality clevises.   The better ones we have access to are painted orange.  CM brand maybe?   The cheap ones are silver, maybe zinc played or galvy.   They bend and break and strip etc.

barbender

I'd second the last two comments👍
Too many irons in the fire

Maine372

and take a minute to tighten the bolts on those clevis's every so often. ive seen them rattle loose.

snowstorm

I used to buy them at a marine supply store.they were under a dollar each. I never had one break

Spartan

If you have old chain links around that are hardened the best bet is to weld new links in.  Way cheaper and last longer than clevis.  If you do use clevis, tack the back side where the threads show through, then you never have to worry about them loosening. 

Thank You Sponsors!