iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory

Started by xlogger, October 14, 2017, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I've got a guy that wants me to dry some 4/4 hickory for him. It's been air drying about a year and I tested a couple boards around 16%. I've never dried hickory would you treat it just like anything else and turn it up to 120° and set the wb at 75? He also said he might have some oak not sure red or white that was cut at same time he might want to put in kiln with it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Yes Sir.  That is what I would do. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

I didn't test the oak, he did not bring a sample over with him. Do you think I could tell him to bring both? Probably not over a couple hundred feet of both.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

If the oak is air dried, should be fine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The temperature you suggest is fine, but the WB is too low. Drying Hardwood Lumber suggests two percent drier than the surface MC, which is likely around 13% MC, so start at 11% EMC.  Then after about 12 hours, go directly into the schedule values, or maybe take an intermediate value and then the schedule.

With hickory, the machining quality really drops if you over-dry the wood, so avoid an EMC under 6.5% EMC.

Mixing oak and hickory at low MC is not an issue.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!