iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Workshop - The Results

Started by VictorH, October 13, 2017, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictorH

The Timber Frame Workshop went very well.  There were 6 participants, myself and Jim Rogers.  I hoped we could finish and stand up the 14'x20' frame that we had worked on in two previous workshops.  To do this however we needed a place for it.  I cleared out the area I had planned to put the frame up at my shop property.  I placed the frame on 6 Diamond Piers.

Here are a few pics of that.

So now I'm ready to go - so I thought

VictorH

Jim flew in Friday Oct. 6th.  Did some printing of drawings and info packets for everyone.  Saturday morning the 6 attendees arrived and Jim began.  Here's a shot of everyone in the meeting/break room I set up.  In here I had a projector, printer, snacks and drinks.

After a morning of class room instruction it was time to begin layout and cutting on some Timbers.  On Friday Jim and I had reviewed the inventory of cut timbers from previous workshops.  It was here that I realized that what I had thought was a tie beam was actually a short sill.  Doh!  I had cut a complete cross sill and long sill along with 8+ floor joists the previous week.

Here's some shots of us working on joints.

Jim is showing us the proper technique and use of a butt clamp  :D

VictorH

3 of the attendees had to leave after the third day.  We were however very close to having the 3 bents and the 2 top plates complete.  The morning of the 4th day we completed the last top plate and began fit up.  We first assembled the top plates to their posts and braces.  We checked see that the joints fit together and that they were square.  We adjusted and corrected problems discovered in this process.  Some of the bents had been cut and assembled in previous years and had been disassembled and stored.  These had dried causing twisted, shrunk and split timbers and joints.  In fact one tie beam had twisted and crowned to the point that I had to cull it and find and cut a replacement timber on the sawmill.

Here are some pics of the fit ups

VictorH

So after having assembled both plates to their posts it was time to fit up and assemble the bents.  We decided to assemble and raise one bent at a time.  This process went slower than hoped and we ended up working into the evening deploying a work-light to finish getting the third bent up.

We did place a 2017 penny into the corner sill stub mortise

It was getting late on the last day and some folks needed to get on the road so we paused and took a group photo.

Happily we got all three bents up. 

VictorH

Jim's flight home was later in the day the day after the workshop ended.  This gave us an opportunity to fly-in the top plates.  So Jim, myself and my two workers (Brandon and Mark) went about getting this done.

John S

Nice work and great photos.  Thanks!!!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

DPatton

Good to see your frame up and assembled Victor. Thanks again for hosting the workshop and a big thanks to Jim for continuing to share his knowledge with the group. I really have enjoyed participating and your location makes it affordable for me.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Jim_Rogers

here is a short video I took of setting the plate with the man lift

https://vimeo.com/238997512
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

VictorH

Thanks Jim

I forgot to take pics of this being done.  I hoped my lift would work as a mini crane and was quite pleased at how well it worked.  Sure did make the raising a lot easier.

Thank You Sponsors!