The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: This Dang Peterson  (Read 4283 times)

Online MbfVA

• I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
Re: This Dang Peterson
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2017, 07:49:23 pm »
 Thanks for the response Greg. I remember something about a new source for blades, may have talked to you when I was in the buying process.

The person who started this thread is the one who needs a blade.

I'm still learning, but I do know the drill about multiple passes.   I am also mindful of seller Barry's advice to do the vertical cut as the deeper dimension and the horizontal cut short dimension where possible.  I am also practicing using wedges to avoid kerf choke, something else Barry showed me.

I think I also remember him telling me that that is best for cutting quartersawn boards, too.  Geometry-wise, that seems to make sense anyway.

I moved the machine to our farm on Friday.  New spot, very thick grassy level ground. The big problem we think we had was that the supports mooshed into the ground as the saw carriage passed each support, particularly in the middle.  The blade then appeared to dig in and then refused to move forward, abruptly without any warning and oddly, without the motor slowing down.  I believe it was due to a squatting of the rails since it seemed to happen near the middle.

I have not been back out to work on correcting that yet, by increasing the weight of the flat pavers underneath each support, to better flatten out the grass.  More to report once I try that.

My seller gave me two new condition blades, either new or freshly retipped, still have the protective green gooey stuff on them.

I still have lots to learn.  I'll try to do a separate post on the experience of moving the machine.  It was an adventure. Don't try it with a Ford truck-- The carriage will not wheel barrel into it like it's supposed to, the lift is too dang high. More on that in a separate post.

Time for dinner.
www.ordinary.com (really); Jim
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo w/ 5' slabber
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 6 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Online MbfVA

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:35 pm »
here are some photos taken inside of an unused by me either retipped or new blade that my seller gave me:

[If you need others, I can do more--I'll keep this blade inside for a while for that eventuality; if the resolution is not high enough, I'll find another way to get you a higher resolution photo or photos]

NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2017, 07:32:12 am »
Judging from the braze quality, scratching on the plate and the polish on the edges of the gullet I'd say that is a retip. Most saw shops dip the tips to protect them.

One more to throw out there, I'm wondering if when that rounded edge on the gullet gets to a point of wear does it stop clearing the kerf and instead begin allowing dust to spill around the blade causing higher feed force, heat, etc. When I was sharpening molder knives one of the sharpening wheel styles we would buy was a gumming wheel normally used for dressing the gullets square. I'm wondering if they need dressing periodically on these saws.

Offline ButchC

• Full Member x2
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2017, 07:51:11 am »
Don,  I agree that's a re-tipped blade in the pics. I hadn't thought of that but a rounded gullet would have to  be less efficient at doing it's job.  I have log #25 on the bunks and still on the original blade, been lucky and hit no embedded objects and have clean logs that havent been skidded.  The tips are just about down to the point of needing a retip job, I am going to check the gullets this evening.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline Grandedog

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Left Coast Supplies
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2017, 02:19:32 pm »
     Howdy,
   It's hard to tell from the photos but, one thing that's very important is the Tangential angle. The trailing edge of the tooth has to be narrower than the leading edge.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Offline Bradm

• I'm new!
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2017, 04:30:08 pm »
That's a retip.  Judging by how the shoulder has been ground, I'm curious as to how close the current diameter of the blade is compared to a new blade.

As to the rounded corners of the gullet, yep they do get dull and should be gummed out periodically.  I like to do it when replacing tips.

Online MbfVA

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2017, 05:27:50 pm »
 To wake up this thread with something slightly new, do any of the Peterson owners on here think this Bosch product would work to provide a laser cut line?

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-LS010-Miter-Laser-Washer/dp/B004GH6YYO

One thing that comes to mind is that the saw blade on our Petersons is not attached with an center arbor, it has multiple screws/bolts ringing the center.   My machine is at the farm, so I can't go out and look at it immediately.
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2017, 06:44:11 pm »
Nothing protrudes from the lower surface of the blade. Reason is that when you are cutting large logs the blade is skimming the top of the log with every cut. If you mounted that on the arbour, as soon as you got 10" into the log it would foul on the log, and you stop.

I have thought a vertical beam mounted on the frame above / in front of the blade would be handy. Set it to line up where the blade is going to track in the vertical cut. This would make that first cut of each horizontal layer easier to set up exactly, accounting for curve / taper etc, because you could see exactly where you are going to cut all the way down the log.

A vertical line would only really be any use for the first opening cuts on top of the log. That's a one off setup for each log, so I don't see any big advantage there.

But the vertical sight down the log I could see being handy, especuially with irregular logs.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Online MbfVA

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2017, 08:14:35 pm »
 You and I do love our irregular logs, don't we, Ian  8)

I had a feeling what sounded like a great idea would get nixed.  I will say that the Bosch site showed a lot of variation in what people thought of it.
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Online MbfVA

Re: This Dang Peterson, vertical sizing switch?
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2017, 03:41:24 am »
 While we're on the subject of Peterson WPF, can anyone recommend a remote pendant type "vertical sizing" switch, up & down, like the one that used to be on the WPF?  I asked why they changed, and was told reliability, but I would rather have one that I can operate easily without having to reach way over to the engine each time.

Vertical sizing (setting the blade height) is rather tricky with this machine, requiring a fair amount of bumping the switch back-and-forth, all the while trying to figure out what's going on with the blade underneath, lining up for that first cut; at least it only has to be done once, but I still have to rock the switch back-and-forth to get in each change in height with any precision.

My hat is off to you Lucas owners; having to operate 2 manual winches to change the ht would drive me nuts.  Using an electric drill  hanging off a very expensive saw mill to change the height on the Turbosaw is another thing entirely.

The OEM switch now in use is a small rubber covered rocker switch mounted requiring a rather fer reach.  It is off in the center, spring loaded to stay that way normally; personal preference would be for a larger switch with a little less of a spring-load, making it easier to operate with an extended hand.   I have to grip the back of the switch and use my thumb.   The winch moves the saw head up when the switch is rocked in one direction, down for the other.  I may just get a length of  properly sized cable and extend it into a small box that I will mount more conveniently.  I'm not sure if there's a relay or contactor involved, so the wire may carry a fair load, but I will check the diagram.

I haven't received a response to my question about adapting after market third-party setworks to the WPF, on another thread.   The dial thing is just not my favorite.
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2017, 04:26:28 pm »
To wake up this thread with something slightly new, do any of the Peterson owners on here think this Bosch product would work to provide a laser cut line?

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-LS010-Miter-Laser-Washer/dp/B004GH6YYO

One thing that comes to mind is that the saw blade on our Petersons is not attached with an center arbor, it has multiple screws/bolts ringing the center.   My machine is at the farm, so I can't go out and look at it immediately.

I had a similar one on a SCMS and the beam is pretty weak.  I don't think that it would work well on a swingblade.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
Re: This Dang Peterson, vertical sizing switch?
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2017, 04:30:55 pm »
While we're on the subject of Peterson WPF, can anyone recommend a remote pendant type "vertical sizing" switch, up & down, like the one that used to be on the WPF? 

I've had one similar to this on my WPF for 11 years.  No problems

www.mcmaster.com   7161K11

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
  • The cabin is done and we love it
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2017, 07:58:02 pm »
I am about to go thru the entire setup process on my troublesome WPF getting ready to saw A 40" RED OAK.  Sure hope to get it working well. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2017, 06:32:14 pm »
Quinton, are you still having problems?  I thought that you got it dialed in last month...

Offline NZJake

• Full Member x2
    • 12 X 12 CUT MONO RAIL SWINGBLADE SAWMILL
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:19 am »
MbfA, an intirely different thing?

You just pointed out how you have to toggle the switch up and down for accuracy... doesnít a variable, cordless urgonomic drill kind of solve a bunch of problems? Your saying that a drill cheapens up our mills from your perspective but heck throw the hand crank back on and your golden, back to a mill that reflects its value. Pretty sure the drill would go straight back on though, it just makes since.

Anyways we can make an electric option... didnít like the toggling and fixed speed though so you will have to ask us to make specially.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?