The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: This Dang Peterson  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
  • The cabin is done and we love it
This Dang Peterson
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »
I have worked for three days trying to get this WPF 10 to saw correctly.  I have gone thru the setup according to the manual and video.  Re-tipped the blades.  I'm at my wits end.  I would gladly pay someone  $500 plus transport to come and make this saw cut as it should.  As I was re-tipping the blade I noticed that the tips appeared to have very little relief.  The manual does not address this but I am considering grinding a little more back angle on the tips and see if that helps.  I've got a huge red oak to saw and I can just not do it under the current setup.  BTW this saw has always been difficult to work. Always. I know it must be something that I am doing wrong---but dang if I can figure out what?

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
Re: This Dang Peterson
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:54:39 pm »
Quinton, I'll give you a call one evening soon.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 02:56:30 pm »
Hold tight, I'm sure so help is on the way, either by post,, hope so for the rest of us, or by a pm,, peterson and lucas are very similar and there are a few users here,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline ButchC

• Full Member x2
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 02:58:21 pm »
Something is seriously wrong because sawing good lumber quickly on mine is as easy as falling down and it's  the first mill I have ever run. Certainly no expert here but might help if we knew what is is doing wrong other than "not sawing correctly" that's a pretty broad statement.  Can you post pictures of the blade tips so  I can compare them to my new blade?
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 03:09:29 pm »
Quinton, here is how the tips look on two of my blades.

[/img]

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 05:06:20 pm »
I feel for you.  I've been trying to get some logs cut and have been fighting rainy weather.  I also had the gremlin climb onboard my mill and moved the brake lever while I was half way through an oak log.  Thought the system had gone totally bad on me.  On one hand it's something sort of simple but on the other it sure messes with your cutting.  I'm sure there's someone close to you that can help.  If the wife didn't have some health issues I'd offer to work with you to resolve the problem(s).  Good luck.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 05:22:01 pm »
Hey Scott, sorry about the mis-name.  Many years(and old age) dull the memory.  As I suspected when I grinded a little more relief on the tips the saw began cutting much better.  Thanks for the pics.  I have the saw set up as close to the manual as I can get.  Crosshatch and lean in are near perfect and I think it is cutting well enough to do this big oak now...not perfect but pretty good.  Still harder to push than the saw I saw working in Pa. this summer.   I have not been using water while doing this setup but will use in on the oak job.  Do you have my number?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline shenandoahsawmill

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 05:42:47 pm »
Quinton; Where are you located? I am near Winchester, Va. and might be able to help if you are not more than a couple hrs. drive. I ran a Peterson WPF for a few years and came up with a sharpener that works better than OEM. Gary

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 07:25:39 pm »
Hi Gary, we are about 3 hours from  Winchester, Va.  I'd sure be interested in better sharpener and help with my mill.
Quinton

Offline shenandoahsawmill

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 09:24:18 pm »
Quinton; Call me if you want to talk over  details. 540-686-0351 Gary

Online MbfVA

• I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 10:12:40 pm »
 Peterson sent me something about a new sharpener they have, though it looks similar to the old one.

Have you checked level front to back (and of course side to side)?  Sometimes a tiny little bit of difference can make a big difference in pushing effort, in particular.

I would also make sure that the brake on the top left is not getting in the way, I've had it intrude unexpectedly.

My recollection is that finer looking sawdust is an indication of blade issues,  with kind of long stringy looking "sawdust" being the best indication of a correctly sharpened blade.

My experience is not extensive, newer owner here, so I'm probably not the best person to advise you,  but I'm a quick study, so I'll help where I can.

Keep the dialogue going and let's see if collectively we can help further-- I'll be looking out for what I can learn as well.

The Peterson folks have a toll-free number (figure in the time difference) , and Left Coast may be able to help as well.
www.ordinary.com (really); Jim
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo w/ 5' slabber
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 6 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Offline firefighter

• Full Member x2
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 11:07:30 pm »
Hi Gary I have a 2009 WPF model .I would also be interested in the sharpener you are talking about could you send me some info on it thanks .Qweaver I was not sharpening the whole tip properly and Chris Brown showed me how to do it the proper way . Give Aaron Kalan a shout on there 1-800 number and he will help you out .

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 01:16:05 am »
A friend has a shop built swing mill, I've seen him have problems sawing when the blade lead was not set correctly.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 06:19:07 am »
Quint, first thing I would try is a different saw. When theirs a problem with any circular mill the saw and its tension is always suspect, with lead close behind. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline ButchC

• Full Member x2
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 06:39:11 am »
Glad the see you are figuring it out. I have a sheet somewhere with the sharpening specs for my blades but unsure if they are the same for my smaller mill? 

A few years ago I spent a lot of time in your neck of the woods when they built the 4 lane between Buckhannon and Elkins, cooridoor H I think it is called?, we crused the rock. I'd drive down but don't think I have enough experience to be of much help.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 07:18:01 am »
Q' 

I'm unclear what your challenge with the mill is,
Sounds like you have the adjustments dialed-in.
is it making bad lumber? 

I suspect the Peterson and Lucas share a very similar tooth spec.
Here is what I have in my manual if its any help.

FWIW I would be very conservative on adding more back-angle,
you will be taking strength out of the cutting face of the tooth

keep us posted

Best
D

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 08:31:29 am »
The adjustments
-tops of rails are parallel to each other by sighting, sag is taken out by the track levelers in the center, mill rolls freely along length.  A level can help but sighting is more accurate. 
-chain lengths hang the mill frame the same everywhere (measure bottom of mill frame to the bottom SS cross members of the end frame at all 4 corners). If engine is at one end then this measurment will be 1/16 or so lower there than at the other end

Blade adjustments, Level the top of a log, then:

-horizontal lean-in, where the blade is tilted down to the right just a little, cut 2" in, then again another 8" in, the ridge from the 2" cut should be visible.

-horizontal criss-cross, the blade marks made by front of blade and back of blade are the same, adjust both nylon rollers the same accordingly

-vertical criss-cross, front of blade marks and back of blade marks are the same, AND, at your end of the log where the blade exits in a pulled vertical cut, the blade can re-enter exactly into this kerf.  Trust the latter more than the criss cross if they're different.  The adjustment is by turning the nuts on either side of the right roller on the head to which the handle is attached.  Removing the handle or turning these without remembering that this affects the adjustment has messed me up before. If the blade exits the log and won't reenter the same kerf there is also a "zinging" sound and there can also be difficulty pulling the saw in vertical cuts with it tending to want to go backwards. Adjust as necessary regardless of criss cross to get the reentry exact.

-vertical intersect adjusted by the stop bolts to get a perfect intersect

Stress in logs can make the above adjustments look off some times but most of cuts should be easy.

Of all these points the least obvious is chain lengths, chain can jump a link on sprocket if something blocks raising/lowering the frame when loading etc.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline woodyone.john

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 08:01:18 pm »
I think TT covered most of it but ,
Check the wheels the frame runs on,sawdust or a flat spot will cause quite a lot of resistance.Also if the small grooves are not on the right side the your alignment will be some ways off.Using it like that will result in loss of tension in the blade. As in all things ,small things matter.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 08:32:55 am »
Just another thought to throw out there. With the discussion on log stress, I've had bowing logs cause all kinds of trouble too.

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 07:39:43 pm »
Quinton, here is how the tips look on two of my blades.

Thanks for the pics  Scott.  Your  blade looks like it has more front relief than mine and that may be the problem.  Also Peterson says the tip should have side relief and yours and mine do not look like they do.  My tips were bought from Peterson and should be right.  I got a diamond blade today and will do some work on the tips tomorrow.