iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hauling rocks

Started by thecfarm, October 13, 2017, 07:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

A few have asked me questions about my rock hauling.

This is the rocky road across the bog. Must be 100 feet long. I have to measure it someday.This is floating land. Even my 40hp tractor use to make the land roll in front of me and behind me. This is the start of it,in the middle the rocks are an easy 2 feet deep,might even be 3 feet. This is the only way to get to the wood on the other side.

All rocks are hauled up in my bucket on my 40hp tractor. Sometimes only one rock at a time,because of the size of it. Sometimes I make 2-3 trips at a time and than others a load of rocks,than I bring out a load of wood.

Note how the left side has tall trees,none on the right. I cleared off the right side a few years back. I had to winch everything to me. This is a warm bog and I really have nothing to get onto it with. This bog I can be walking on snow,than I can hit a warm spot and sink into a foot of water. I think I cleared off about 200 feet off from the rocky road.There was really nothing of any logs,it's a hard place to grow trees when your feet are wet all the time.

I put small rocks on top of the big rocks to make for a smoother ride. Some rocks are 2 feet tall. I am on the end of the rocky road,so the rocks are only a foot high now.

This is where the rocks are coming from this time. I have already hauled off about 50 feet of the wall. The first tree is a white birch,than the next one is an elm tree,I think the only one I have on my land,than that small one is a butternut tree,I might give that one to the neighbor. He's planting a bunch of nut trees. Than past that are some bigger butternut trees.

This is looking the other way,elm tree,small butternut.

This is down by the big butternut.

This is a stonewall in the woods. I have been working on this one for years. This one connects to the one above. Use to be a field where all the trees are.

And here is one I could not pick up. I could roll/push it,so I pushed it up on top of another rock. That is a hat for size.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

Looks fun :). Nice property.

Pclem

What an accomplishment! nice looking road
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

GRANITEstateMP

Nice looking place you got there.  Looks like you've put in a lot of work.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ed_K

Nice to have round rocks. Everything around here is ledge'y and sharp, unless your picking new grown rocks from corn fields  ;D .
Ed K

47sawdust

Ah Ray,You are such a slacker,you weren't around when they built the pyramids were you? ;D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

lopet

Wow, that's  A LOT of work I can just imagine.  I  have been  picking a lot too on my land, but more  on the land I am farming.
It's nice to see about the progress and the benefits you will have from putting wood roads in.
I have a bog like that just on the edge of the bush, where I would like to put  a 300' lane in so I can pass it year around.
Maybe 200' is bad and black muck, just thought that might be a good place to bury the old barn foundation.
Keep on  rocking Ray. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

WV Sawmiller

I have several rock bars on y 40+ acres of WV mountain land and they can be useful but most of the time they are just a pain. I have thought about putting out signs "Anyone caught stealing rocks will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law" and hopefully someone will think they are valuable and come steal them.  :D I was going to try that with my multi-flora roses till I got goats and got ahead of them. Good luck with you rock moving project. At least it looks like you have good use for them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

g_man

You've done a ton of good work Ray. Amazing. I have one trail that I call rocky road but it is nothing compared to what you built for yourself there. I can see that I am doing it all wrong - I take the big rocks out of the road and put them on the old wall  ;D

gg

Stephen Alford

Well now.. that there is determination. A hundred years some one will come across that road and be amazed. Nice job on your property. Thank you for taking the time to post some pics.  :)
logon

Peter Drouin

That's a lot of work. When you were talking about rocks I was thinking you were clearing a field not moving a rock wall.
Nice road. Thanks for the pixs
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Determination,good word. Need a place for all the rocks I dig out. And I need a safe way to get across the bog. Makes a person kinda nervous to see the ground rise before you and fall behind you. Than I had my land logged. A forwarder with a load of logs really finds the soft places. The big rocks held it up just fine.
Peter,I was digging some rocks out of the field.
Note the rocks on the edge of the woods. Lots of edges too. ;D Look for the gray areas.

Than a pile here too.

Not the first time a stone wall has been put into the bog. There was one that was never built. Some places 10 feet wide.Looks like a dump cart was tripped and just move forward. If they dumped in one spot fine,if the rocks got spread out 10 feet fine too. I got tried of trying to keep the bushes down from that area. To the bog the wall went. These was rocks that could be picked up by hand for the most part.Held up a 40 hp tractor fine. A forwarder,not so well. Than the bigger rocks was brought in. That worked.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

If you ever get bored, you can just go haul some rocks  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I could use something bigger than a 40hp NH tractor to help out on the boredom part.  ;D

Magicman

Ray has a pretty place there and with a wonderful view.   :)

I didn't see no rocks......well maybe a few.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Ray, I do believe you have mentioned rocks in passing before, now I understand why😂
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I betcha I have more stonewalls than any other member. And I am only talking about the ones that can be seen from my house. Use to be alot of fields around here. There are stone walls out in the woods too. Many rocks still in those so called fields too,uneven ground too. But some of those fields was either mowed by hand,or with a short cutter bar,horse drawn equipment.
There are still many rocks in my fields too. I have dug out all that I can with my tractor.

pinefeller

c farm i gotta meet you sometime. and by the way i got about 70 acres of rocks up to volkswagon size if you run out lol....if i could only market these things ..... ;D i generally dig a 8 foot deep hole to bury the 3'ers then have to dig a 10' deep hole to bury the 6'er i dug out for the previous one ...and so on
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Peter Drouin

I have rock walls too. I have seen piles of rocks the size of my house.  :D :D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

pinefeller,you do better than me. If I was to bury my rocks,I would find more rocks. Than I would need dirt to fill up the holes and find more rocks.  :D  One big rock produces 4-5-6 smaller ones. By smaller I mean a foot across. I can't count the others ones. But I do have a place that I get dirt from. The last layer I dump,then I sort through it and put the rocks into the bucket. Repeat until hole is filled in.
Peter,I don't have piles of rocks that big. Just rocks that big. Lying on that part.  ;D  Or I think I am.  :D  I have no idea how big some are underground. Just like the one that I pushed the rock on top of. Who knows what is hidden under ground.
Some good size one was found when digging for the foundation here. I did have to call in the blasting crew for the bedroom. The guy digging hit something of some size. Took the blasting crew twice to get it.
Than the well drilling guy saw all the rocks and metioned how I would have plenty of good water here. He was right.

Don P

I took the top link out and cracked the seat cover on my tractor trying to derock one of our fields. I stuck forks under one and hooked into an iceberg, just about rolled it out and it slammed back down on the tractor, that was an expensive rock! Early on I was bush hogging and found the old outhouse pit by making gravel, they had filled it with rocks, another expensive bunch of rocks  ::).
There is a cliff at one end of our property, at the base is our quarry when we want to build walls or fill low areas, everything from gravel to house sized. The bears live somewhere up and amongst them. The locals think it is a rattlesnake pit and I don't do anything to dissuade them of that notion  ;D. We were in a museum one day and I saw our rock in one of the cases labeled "semi-precious". That particular rock runs for about 100 miles and the jewelers have not lined up yet  :D

Magicman

I would love to build one of those rock walls on my place but there is one small problem.....  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pinefeller

ill give you a second to re read my previous post.....
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

thecfarm

At least you have something to bury the big ones with. You can see what I did with one of mine big ones. And it was smaller than a VW too.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!