iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain going dull practically instantly.. How Come?

Started by Rgoedhart, September 26, 2017, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 05, 2017, 07:46:18 AM
People who don't make mistakes  usually don't do much . ;)

This would explain why I'm so tired all the time.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mike_belben

I was losing my mind trying to fell a big hickory with a hidden dirtpile in the center.  Chain smoking dull every 10 seconds.
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

:D It's amazing what a little dirt can do in a very short time to a chainsaw chain .

PineNut

For most of my cutting, I use a chisel chain. This chain has a sharp point that does the main part of the cutting. It will cut right through the wood. But let it hit just a little dirt and it will be almost instantly dull

There are many times that the wood is not all that clean. Use a chisel chain and you will be spending a lot of time sharpening the chain. When cutting dirty wood (or dirt), I use a semi chisel chain. This chain does not have a sharp point on it. The corner that does the cutting is rounded. As a result, it does not cut as fast. But when it hits the dirt, it will keep on cutting. Well the dirt will dull it some but not near as fast as the chisel chain.

I use this chain when cutting small trees and brush off even with the ground. I may have to stop and dig the dirt out but clean it up and it will keep on cutting. I use the chisel on a Husky 372XP and the semi chisel on a Husky 357XP. 

Al_Smith

On the subject with regard to the wrong chain I finally got around to using the correct one on the 024 .Makes a world of difference .Some style of Oregon round chisel non guard .Fastest cutting for a new chain I've ever seen .I should have paid attention to the numbers for future reference .
As far as stumpers and dirt I use a chain with about one more filing left on it,chisel .If I trash it it didn't have much life left in it any way so I'm out about nothing .The only semi and chippers I have are on the antiques .Who cares how fast they cut because just to get and keep a 50-60  year old saw running is a feat within itself .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Rgoedhart on September 26, 2017, 08:26:17 PM
Hi all,

I have a Remington Rodeo (18") 51cc Gas Chain Saw chainsaw.
I use the following chains:
- Oregon 18-Inch Pro-Guard Chain Saw Chain Fits Craftsman, Echo, Homelite, McCulloch, Poulan H72
- Oregon 20BPX072G Micro-Chisel Saw Chain .325-Inch Pitch .050-Inch Gauge 72 Drive Link Count

My problem is as follows.

The chain goes dull WAY fast.   Without exaggerating, when I put a brand new chain on the saw, I can saw maybe one or two  20 inch diameter PINE trees, before the before the saw stops auto-feeding, and cutting properly.

Earlier today I put the "Oregon Pro-Guard" chain on my saw, validated the chainsaw had enough bar and chain-oil and tried cutting a 16-inch diameter Red Oak.   It did not even make it through one cut until it just stopped making any sawing progress.

After it stopped progressing on the oak, I tried to cut some pine branches (5-6 inch thick).  It barely managed. 

This is consistent for the past 3-4 chains I have replaced.  I tried filing them. I tried brand new chains.     they go dull before I can make any good progress.

I'm trying to understand why this happens.       What could contribute to this extreme dulling?

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to Forestry Forum R goedhart
When I think of pine like you're  cutting in I think of sand.

Pine naturally likes to grow in sandy rocky ground.
Sand does tend to be present in these tree's bark so expect more touchups with the file.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!