iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS460 Magnum Help/Advice

Started by crocboy25, October 12, 2017, 03:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crocboy25

Hello Group,
Recently I had trouble with my Stihl MS460 Magnum chainsaw(about 7 year old saw).  It would cut off when I hit the throttle. I took it too Ag Pro and they said a few things. 1. I needed a new fuel line. The one I had was leaking and losing pressure. I had them fix that. 2. They said that the piston was showing signs of "scoring" and wanted to replace it for close to $600. They said the cost of the part was like $250(I see them online for around $80).  They said that this was not causing the saw to shut off right now but that the saw would fail in the near future.  I did not have them change the piston and housing. I told them to just change the fuel line for now.
I don't know much about the engine of the saw and do not feel like being hosed for $600. Is replacing the piston something I could do at home if I ordered the part online? If not, I do know a small engine guy who could do the work for me if possible.
Does any of this sound legit?

Anyways, any input on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

ZeroJunk

Remove the muffler, take a photo of the piston, and post it on here.

crocboy25

Thanks for the reply. I will do that tomorrow. On a side note, I tried to crank it today for the first time since getting it back and it won't crank. Really p*ssed off now. I'm taking it back first thing in the morning and raising hell.

joe_indi

Is the spark plug wet or dry? If it's wet, the engine is flooded. If it is dry, pour a few drops of fuel into the air intake with the air filter removed. Move the switch to Start (full down then one step up) try starting it.

crocboy25

Thanks for the reply Joe. I will try to get to it.  It is hard to get at and unscrew without the proper ratchet.

joe_indi

Quote from: crocboy25 on October 13, 2017, 12:24:33 AM
Thanks for the reply Joe. I will try to get to it.  It is hard to get at and unscrew without the proper ratchet.
Don't you carry the combination wrench around? That is all the tool you need for this.

crocboy25

Oh gees. Now I feel stupid(even more). Yes I have several of those. I didn't think of that. I only use that on the nuts for the chain cover.  The saw is at the repair place again. Dropped it off this morning when it wouldn't even crank. They said it seemed like it wasn't running correctly... no kidding.  They took it apart early this week. I bet they didn't put it back together again right.

teakwood

I am sure you can't buy a OEM piston and cylinder for 80$ online. Just Chinese stuff and i would not recommend that for this repair
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!