iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fortress Security Gun Safe ?

Started by Autocar, October 12, 2017, 02:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Worked fine then over night stopped working . It has numbers and you push in your code and it clicks and you open it. I replaced the battery but still nothing. When it was working right you would punch a number and it would make a binging noise then click when you ended your four number code. Any Ideas ?
Bill

GRANITEstateMP

any chance one of the numbers on the touch screen are "stuck"?  This is one of of the things that scares me about my gun safe.  I like the convenience of the touch screen (which I have), but I love the dependability of the old turn style lock
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Autocar

Not sure about that I will play around with that and see where it takes me  :D Beenthere sent me a P.M. with some ideas also tried to answer you back but computer wasn't cooperating.
Bill

Corley5

The local gun safe super store ;) told me when I asked about the reliability of electronic locks that they as well as conventional combination locks can all be changed over to a simple keyed lock.  No combinations to remember, or electronics to fail.  Just a matter of where the key is ;D :D   
  I hope your issue is easily solved :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Claybraker

At this point your best bet is contact the manufacturer.  As a cautionary tale for anyone who has an electronic lock on their gunsafe, if it's over a year old, replace it.  Common points of failure are the solenoid, and the electrolytic capacitor. It's not if they are going to fail, it's when they are going to fail. S&G mechanical dial locks are my choice.

Autocar

Playing around with it we got it to bing on all the numbers but one . But now they all quit again not sure whats with it now. We found a phone number on the net so I will call them tomarrow.
Bill

Chop Shop

On the plus side, a simple sledge hammer will get you back in there whenever you like.

Autocar

Well I called the safe company and they told me to get a lock smith. So I called the lock smith and he said he would need the serial number . I looked on the safe and ended up calling the company again they told me it was on a peace of paper on the rear lower right side which faced the wall. So I go under the house and un-bolted it from the floor, turned it around and got the number. Called the safe company and gave them the number and they said I would have to have a lock smith drill the door. So I called the lock smith back and he said I might as well buy a new safe for what it would cost me.  ::) So now I guess I will think about it for a few days then get my cutting wheel and cut the top out then hope I can get though the next plate under that. I Hate Everything That's Electronic I swear these things will take years off your life because your all the time trying to use the junk ! And then the machine gives you more options  :D
Bill

Peter Drouin

That's too bad, Now I got to look at mine. ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

whiskers

many irons in the fire.........

whiskers

many irons in the fire.........

chevytaHOE5674

This is the reason that I hunted far and wide for a safe with an old fashion dial combination lock, when all the sales folks kept telling me that the electronic locks never fail.

PineNut

Don't get me started on:
1. Reliability of electronics
2. Reliability of information from sales people.

Stuart Caruk

Only difference between them and a used car salesman is that the used car salesman knows he's lying to you...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Stuart Caruk

I recently got locked out of my electronic gunsafe, and called the manufacturer. They sent me a special tool to open it from the outside. Slick tool. Turns out it's readily available on the internet for under $10 and will quickly defeat theirs and several other safes...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Peter Drouin

Mine was a gift, Now it will be junk, What's the best [good] one out there?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

jdonovan

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 14, 2017, 05:37:58 AM
What's the best [good] one out there?

1st rule - mechanical locks only. There are GOOD electronic locks, but they probably cost more than the current safe you own. Local locksmith said to me electronic safe locks on cheap safes are great for business. He said he makes more profit replacing them,  than selling the safe in the first place.

What to replace it with depends on what your goals are, and what you are willing to spend.

Let me know your general budget, and level of anti-theft protection you want, and I'll get you some suggestions.

In the mean time, take a look at the higher-end of things.

https://www.brownsafe.com/hd-safes/hd4018.html

Most people don't have that kind of budget, but its good to know the 'range' that available.

Claybraker

Most of the stuff on the market  (RSC's Residential Security Cabinets) these days offers very little in the way of security, and you can get equivalent security with a heavy duty job box. Maybe more.  Moving up to real security, you'd need a B rated true safe.  They come at a price,  both $ and weight.  A good way to compare gun safes is how much does it weight?.  I have a Graffunder, It's pricey, but I figured I'd get something my heirs and assigns can fight over when I'm gone. To cut through some of the marketing hype, Heres a good resource for more than you ever wanted to know about gun safes. http://gunsafereviewsguy.com

Autocar

Chevta The other safe is Mechanical and I agree only way to go .
Bill

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 14, 2017, 05:37:58 AM
Mine was a gift, Now it will be junk, What's the best [good] one out there?
Peter Drouin, I drive past a Liberty Safe store almost every day in North Hampton, NH.  Pretty sure they make a decent product.  The store wasn't there when I purchased my safe years ago, or I would have shopped them more. 

My problem when I bought a safe was if I spent all the money on a nice safe, I wouldn't have and money to put in the safe :(  Years later, things like cheaply made electronic locks keep my up at night...  One of many decision's I'd like to have had back.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Claybraker

Sometimes you can find bargains on used safes at estate sales and such.  The big names have all been engaged in a race to the bottom. Besides saving money with less expensive locks, they save expense by not putting any real steel in the thing, which also saves shipping costs.  I'd rather spend money on plate steel rather than fancy paint jobs other gee gaws,  or advertising marketing budgets.

jdonovan

if you can't swing the pricing to get to 3-4k . for a B rated plate safe, take a look at snap safe.

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/titan

9 guage steel. which you can't get in a line like liberty until you are over $2,500 for the smallest size.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Kbeitz

I really think that I would build my own before spending the money spent
even on the cheap ones. I had a 4 ton safe give to me around 30 years ago
and I dug a hole along side of my shop and dropped it in. It just about rolled
my tractor. So I have two BIG safe doors in the wall of my shop.. It will still
be there when the building gone.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

I have been thinking about that too Kbeitz. Fix up something on what I have.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!