The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Tree felling tutorials?  (Read 432 times)

Offline alan gage

Tree felling tutorials?
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:34:41 pm »
I'm sure this has been discussed in the archives but I was unable to find what I'm looking for. I've got nearly 60 trees that I need to drop and will be starting in the next week or so. Nearly all of them are white oak (Bur) that have died in the last year or two (presumably oak wilt). They're in relatively open pastures so most have a clear path to drop the tree and no structures or power lines nearby. The biggest tree will probably be ~28" at the butt and they aren't overly tall due to growing in semi-open conditions. Most are straight, some are leaning, and a few are on hillsides. I'll have a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, 70hp Kubota with FEL and forks, heavy strap, and a couple hundred feet of steel cable and snatch block to help direct the falls.

I've been processing my own firewood for nearly 10 years and am comfortable running a chainsaw. I've dropped a handful of trees, all successfully, but most of my wood is already down when I get to it. I know there's a lot that I don't know when it comes to dropping trees and while much of my education will come by actually doing the work I'd like to learn as much as I can before hand to avoid those mistakes that don't give you a second chance.

So I'm looking for some reading material. Book form would be preferable but online is fine. I learn best by reading and doing but videos are good too. I've already ordered Professional Timber Falling by Doug Dent but it hasn't arrived yet.

Thanks,

Alan

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
Re: Tree felling tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:11:27 pm »
Have you located a buyer/mill for the trees. I don't cut a tree without nowing were it's going and what it will be worth..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Offline jaygtree

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:56:44 pm »
i watch felling videos on youtube. lots of info there.   jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Offline MbfVA

• I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:05 am »
 I'm no chainsaw expert, but I would especially recommend that YouTube videos by the chainsaw manufacturers, and other equipment manufacturers.   I'm privilege to have a hunter  at our farm who helps me out, he's really good at it.    Like you said, there are some mistakes that don't give you a second chance.
www.ordinary.com (really)
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo w/ 5' slabber
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 4 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:17:56 am »
Have you ever bore cut/plunge cut into a tree before? 

Offline square1

• Full Member x2
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 05:24:24 am »
If you're genuinely concerned, take a course. You can learn a lot of what to do right and what to avoid in a short time. The things persons with good intentions taught me early on, that had to be unlearned during qualified training provided by my employer, was staggering.

There's a pretty good discussion here: http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,89495.msg1435470.html#msg1435470

Youtube does not qualify it's contributors.  There's good stuff out there, but just as much bad.  You have to be discerning.  The suggestion to go to MFGs sites is good advice.  Stihl had a really good series at one time.

Offline alan gage

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:47:50 am »
Thanks for the advice so far. I'd kind of been staying away from youtube not knowing what I'd get but I did come across some of the manufacturer's stuff and it was really good. Much more in depth than I expected. A lot to learn, that's for sure. I'll be starting out with what look to be the easiest trees to learn new skills before tackling the more challenging ones if I feel up to it.

The logs will either be used on my personal sawmill or turned into firewood depending on their quality. Just got the sawmill this summer and already I can see my firewood production is going to be more difficult. Those nice straight logs that split so easily with the axe will now be going to the sawmill and I'll be left splitting the junk.

Alan

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:31:22 pm »
Youtube does not qualify it's contributors.  There's good stuff out there, but just as much bad.  You have to be discerning.

Definitely! There is a lot of worthless junk - or worse yet, dangerous advice - on YouTube.

Husqvarna has a decent series out. you can find it at:

Of course, nothing beats getting some live training. Game of Logging is a good source, but I don't think there are any of them out your way, Alan.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow