Previous topic - Next topic

xenduro

where do I start trying to get them running again

tanks were empty    and ran some stabil thru them   in 2003
tks greg (67 year old)

all I know is that  I do not use e85 in them

Weekend_Sawyer

Welcome to the forum Greg.

I'd squirt a little 30 wt in the spark plug hole and pull them over a bunch of times.
then go right ahead and gas them up and see if they will fire up. Unless the gas lines have rotted I bet they will.

What kind of saws are they?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

xenduro

that sounds easy tks

sthil's

my great old farmboss 041   (old I guess early mid 80's)
    my up in a tree 021    20-25 years old and my
NEW   044                      about the same age

the 041 gave me trouble once and I got the 044 before my buddy sthil saw dealer  fixed it

we retired in 2003 and took a short 14 year RV trip    starting in NY    ending in Montrose CO

also a old ECHO back pack blower  and a ?red ???? weed wacker to try and get going

i'll check hoses

xenduro

ok  I did the echo blower first   little starting fluid and oil   in cylinder   right up

the 021    could not reach plug     starting fluid    fancy sthil gas(above also)

right up

sawguy21

Leave the starting fluid on the shelf and use a squirt of fresh pre-mix. Ether is very hard on crankshaft seals.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thedoublejranch

If it does start (run past the initial prime), you will be lucky, usually the carbs are all dried out, full of corrosion from aluminum oxidation and residue left by old fuel that has evaporated away. But you may get lucky. Yes, a nice puff of pre mixed fuel. Let it run at a modest speed while on choke, then choke off, still modest speeds, this will flood the crankcase with the oil needed and the low pressure (vacuum pulse) makes the oil fall from being suspended in the fuel and lubricate the roller and ball bearings. Dont rev it up hard till the cylinder is warmed up which wont take too long.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Thank You Sponsors!