The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Black locust fence posts  (Read 989 times)

Offline BigBurOak

• I'm new!
Black locust fence posts
« on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:40 pm »
Hello all,
I am getting ready to cut a heck of a lot of clear, straight, tall forest grown black locust ranging from 4"-12" in diameter and am wondering the best price to ask for a 8' fence post. I will be debarking and charring 3' of the ends. also are there any better things to use this wood for?
Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
Re: Black locust fence posts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »
Top use for me is as a timber, if I can get a nice 6x6x8' or more out of it, it is a construction timber, next is fencepost, next is landscape timber, then firewood.
USFPL did some testing on charring, best I can remember they said it didn't do anything.

Offline BigBurOak

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:31:29 pm »
Thanks Don P,
also I forgot to mention that I am still undecided on whether to leave them round or to square them w/ my Broadaxe. I do not own a sawmill but would consider hauling them to someone who has.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:44 pm »
It makes a great alternative to pressure treated lumber for outdoor construction projects. we used it for the corner posts and railings on a shade pavilion near our pond. Makes stron, rot resistant decking as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Blue Noser

• I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 05:33:04 am »
What is the going rate for black locust timber in your area?

Offline BigBurOak

• I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:05:18 am »
about 1.50 a foot is what I heard, Blue Noser.

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:42:50 am »
If you want to debark, lay the fence posts out about 2 layers deep. Then drive over them with a tractor.  Back and forth, back and forth.  Do this the day you cut them.  If you let them set a day or two, the sap will turn to glue and make it hard to debark.  Once you drive over them you can pull the bark off in long strips.  Works very well on 3 to 6 or 7" posts.  The posts will be extremely slick until they dry.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »
The posts will be extremely slick until they dry.

I'll say! We made a shade/shelter pavilion near our pond and used some Black Locust for the posts. They were incredibly slick until they dried - slipperier than if someone had greased them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:56:04 pm »
    I'm pretty much in agreement with DonP. I'd save any long straight locusts for pole barn usage then 7' sections for fence posts then firewood. I can't comment on the landscape timbers as I don't do that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline moosehunter

• Senior Member x2
  • Every once in a while
    • Saw it Coming
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 12:20:58 pm »
I attended a Black Locust seminar this past Friday.  Very  interesting.  Pricing for lumber should start about  $1.50 bdft, there was talk of $8.00 a bdft for premium / specialty,  for instance a 8x8x12 priced at $7.54 a bdft. Cornell University and others are doing a lot of research trying to grow a sraighter, more vigorous BL.
If it is true that we learn from our mistakes, I must be Brilliant!

Offline BigBurOak

• I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:55 pm »
Hey Guys,
Unlike I have been told, my black locust is extremely easy to debark even after three weeks. I have been using a flat nosed shovel with an edge I put on it and it works great. I know you are prob'ly thinking like "Its been 3 weeks since he cut it and he still debarking?" but I am in school so I can only peel when I get done with homework. I will post some pics once I'm done skinning all of them.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 08:38:27 am »
I use a garden spade shovel .. The long narrow ones for small deep holes... With the point and sides sharpened and its excellent.
Ive not done BL but most other hardwoods.  Red and white oak, hickory, poplar, red maple, sweetgum.  If you ever missed the window and your bark glues itself back on, set it in the dirt for a few weeks and the worms will unbond it and leave you some character trails. 

The bark composts real well if you chip it first then layer with grass and manure.

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:45:03 am »
Hey Guys,
Unlike I have been told, my black locust is extremely easy to debark even after three weeks. I have been using a flat nosed shovel with an edge I put on it and it works great. I know you are prob'ly thinking like "Its been 3 weeks since he cut it and he still debarking?" but I am in school so I can only peel when I get done with homework. I will post some pics once I'm done skinning all of them.

Well Done!  Black locust is the best fence post bar none.

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 08:45:57 am »
I attended a Black Locust seminar this past Friday.  Very  interesting.  Pricing for lumber should start about  $1.50 bdft, there was talk of $8.00 a bdft for premium / specialty,  for instance a 8x8x12 priced at $7.54 a bdft. Cornell University and others are doing a lot of research trying to grow a sraighter, more vigorous BL.

I'd love to know more.  Huge advocate and I'm working on TSI and in many cases the BL seems a great route to pay for the TSI. 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 01:18:25 pm »
I'm with mike on the spade. That is all I use for planting stuff. Most stuff I plant is small and does not need a big hole.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline BigBurOak

• I'm new!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 07:22:55 pm »
Thanks for the coms guys.

Offline moodnacreek

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 07:04:46 pm »
All the locust I can get is sawed 2x6 and 2x8 for trail board walks. It brings $ 1.80 bd. ft.  I have never seen forest grown locust. Also charring fence posts is un herd of today and said not to do anything. The old timers , of course new better. Those old burnt stumps last a long time.