The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Using hydraulic motor for Log stops  (Read 523 times)

Offline Rickcnc

• I'm new!
Using hydraulic motor for Log stops
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:38:50 am »
I am considering using a hydraulic motor to raise and lower log stops as will an additional motor to move a log clamp. Iíll use a cylinder to raise and lower the clamp.. My thinking is the motor will give me more travel for the clamp.
Has anyone else build their own stops and clamps this way ? I noticed the timberking 2000 appears to be set up like this.
Looking for your feedback on the idea and some input on what size of motors I would need.

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
Re: Using hydraulic motor for Log stops
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:15:02 am »
I tried a hydraulic motor for the dog on the mill I built. It would back off on big logs. A motor's not made to hold like a cylinder is. My 2 cents.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline Satamax

• Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 04:05:44 am »
Rick.

For the log stops, i think a cylinder would work ok. You can have plenty of travel. If it's for log dogs/clamps I used old vertical sawmill parts, and modified these into horizontal ones, using three phase worm gear electrical motors.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,85066.80.html

If you are not mobile. Use electricity, it's far less hassle.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 05:35:41 am »

Yes TK uses a hyd motor to raise and lower the vertical stops and it works just fine, doesn't need much holding power for the log stops. Almost any motor should have enough power, I'd get a slower rpm one as you don't want the going up or down really fast.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 03:57:37 pm »
Hydraulic motors are expensive seems like a waste when a simple small cylinder could do the same job. My bandmill has two stops tied together that swing up from a handle in the front of the mill. Its simple and they are 12" high but they can be lowered for smaller logs. Save the motor for a chain turner or cable feed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:34:24 am »

If using swing up stops which I don't like a hyd cylinder would work well and be easy.  With vertical stops a hyd motor would be a lot simpler and they can be bought for around $100 or less, not that much more than a cylinder.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader