The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Transport a sawmill on a trailer.  (Read 1183 times)

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
Re: Transport a sawmill on a trailer.
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 10:30:48 pm »
I am sure you could do it. maybe jack up the trailer a bit while it is hooked to your pickup.

Pickup headed slightly downhill could be a help? second thought the bed of the trailer needs to be level so the mill doesnt roll.

My tool of choice would be a hand crank winch or comealong. Shouldnt be too much weight to pull and once the wheels are on the trailer you should be able to roll it where you want it. That mill is 20' long? Should be a 3' or 4' tongue on your trailer that you could put the main beam on the end out over and maybe the leg on the tongue of the mill would maybe hit the bed of the trailer.

Pictures please!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 11:43:47 pm »
Jeff, I did this once with my LT40. Pulled it on with a come-a-long, put the mill's hitch directly over the trailer's hitch and tied it down. Getting it off was a little more fiddley but not bad.  There was no place to attach the come-a-long directly in the center so it wanted to go crooked.  Pulled at a bit of an angle and it did ok.  I used a 16' flatbed, tandem axel.  Overall length of trailer with tongue is 22' so I had a couple of feet hanging off the back.  I just plugged the mills lights into the pickup.  I'd post a picture if I had one. Oh, I also took the tail gait off the pickup.  Don't think I needed to but I didn't want to find out the hard way that I should have.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:13 am »
I had to rescue a little tilt bed trailer that the hinge point got broken off so it was only held on by the lock pin on the front of the flat bed.  I secured the draw bar with ratchet straps so I could tow it to civilization.  Once there, I had my flatbed hitched to my truck (my flat bed is very high).  I put my ramps down and used another vehicle to back the crippled trailer up the ramps and on to my trailer.  At home, I did the reverse with my daughter's 4Rnr.  I *could* have just blocked the wheels on the trailer but without a tie down (truck hitch) the flatbed would have probably lifted.

So, long story short, use two vehicles or somehow secure the flatbed hitch to the ground (tie to a tree?).  If needed, get a high rise receiver for the vehicle that is pushing the sawmill up the ramps to the flatbed.  Don't you have an ATV/UTV?  Use that to push/pull it on the trailer and keep it attached for the ride to the cabin.

Pictures of your trailer?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline WLC

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 05:08:38 am »
May I ask why you need, or want, to trailer the LT30?  (ETA: that doesn't sound nice, but no offense intended)

If I remember correctly you are allowed to tow double up there aren't you?  I saw a truck with a slide in camper pulling a boat and a four wheeler trailer once somewhere between the bridge and Crystal Falls.  As long as you don't have to do much (in my case any ;D) backing up towing tandem shouldn't be too awful.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Offline Jemclimber

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 06:42:33 am »
Ljohnsaw,     to keep the hitch from rising, put jack stands under the rear of the trailer and chock the trailer wheels to keep the trailer from rolling while loading and unloading it. Then the hitch won't rise.  I've moved many things on a flatbed, but I usually have a helper, rope and plenty of chains with binders.

Jeff, show us a picture of your flatbed. Is the deck in between or over the wheels? Long ramps supported with blocks ease the angle getting it on/off the trailer. You could back it on and pull it off with the truck with some 16' ramps. Do you know anyone that can cut some long ramps? :D  2x's supported in a few spots so the ramps don't flex or break and it should be fine. Slide the ramps under the mill for transport and don't forget to bring the support blocks with you, and don't forget to block the rear of the trailer so the tongue doesn't flip up.  As others have said, make sure you have tongue weight, and that it is well chained to the trailer.
lt15

Online ellmoe

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:38 am »
Any place where you could lift the saw on/off the trailer and drive out from underneath?
Mark, Wildlife Biologist (in my previous life), now 2 HD40E25's, Weining Promat, Koetter Kilns (2), Sore back and arthritic fingers!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:47 am »
Get the sawmill on the trailer,than when you get there unhook the trailer,may have to put blocks on the rear of the trailer to keep it from raising up in the air,chock the tires. Put a long chain on the the sawmill,hook chain to truck. I have seen those dollies with a wheel and a handle and a trailer receiver ball. Get it so it will start to unload by itself. :o,get in truck and slowly let it off the ramps. Modify this great idea as needed.   ::)   :D Could also have a winch on the other end of sawmill,leave like a foot of slack on chain,than winch it off that way too. Than get in truck drive forward a foot and repeat. Slow,but safer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 12:33:25 pm »
If I remember correctly you are allowed to tow double up there aren't you?

In Michigan the first trailer would need to be a fifth wheel, and legally it needs to be designed for "recreational living".