iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transport a sawmill on a trailer.

Started by Jeff, October 11, 2017, 04:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Has anyone ever tried It? I'm trying to figure out how to avoid two trips to the cabin and save 6 hours and 75 bucks in gas. The problem would be getting the mill on and off I guess. I'm talking an lt30 on a 14ft tandem flatbed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den-Den

I moved my home built mill with a trailer for a couple of years until I put an axle under it.  Pulled it on with a hand crank winch, pulled it off with a snatch block at the back and the same winch.  It was not a big problem but having an axle under the mill is an improvement.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

drobertson

no, never done it, but I would think if your mill is like the ones I know of,, back it on when it's on, or rather in the travel mode lock down, just for tongue weight,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

I can't see backing it on in my mind, on a dollied down  trailer. The angle on the hitch would get extreme. Also I can't envision winching it on without some sort of rolling support on the hitch end.

drobertson

I can, just thinking tongue weight,, and ease of unloading,,,, good luck,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just make sure what it takes to get it on goes with you to get it off.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgdrls

Do you have a local place at either end of the trip with a drive-up loading ramp?
I assume the LT could be towed a few miles if needed?

you get the idea,

best
D

Magicman

I would prefer to back it on, but you will need a dirt ramp at each location.  I believe that it would be a simple matter there at home with the trailer in the street and jackknifed into the bank. 

Whatever you do assure that you have enough tongue weight to prevent the trailer from fishtailing.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanMc

This is exactly what I have been doing, except I'm not taking it on and off the trailer routinely.  But then, I don't have the wheels under it that you have with an LT30m, so the CG is lower.  I had a rigid frame built to carry the track so if I wanted to get it off, I could lift off the head and the track with the tractor.  If I didn't have the tractor, I think the track could be slid on and off using a winch once the head is strapped on and some beams added to make it impossible to tip to one side.  When hauling I bring the head all the way forward and lift it off the track so it sits on the trailer bed and strap it down.  With two lifting, its easy to take the head on and off the track.  I don't like the idea of the track rollers bouncing around on the same spot for a hundred or more miles.  If I go much faster than 60 mph, I will notice a little tendency to sway, so I keep the speed down closer to 55.  I have done close to 500 miles towing it, so it's all good. 

Couldn't do any milling without the tractor to lift the logs up onto the bed. 

LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

fishfighter

Saw a brand new LT15 on a trailer today in my hood. ;D

firefighter ontheside

I'm putting an LT15 on a trailer this weekend.  Planning to move the head to the far end and lift up the now light end and back trailer under.  Then set the end down on trailer and roll the head up.  Eventually it should tip up and then need to be pushed further up.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sprucebunny

I brought mine back from Quebec on a trailer. Used a bunch of cribbing and planks at the end of the ramps to get it off. A little tricky but possible.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Peter Drouin

Is there a hand winch on the mill. Hook to the trailer or truck and turn the winch. It will pull itself on to the trailer.
Maybe use a skateboard for the front leg of the mill so it will roll
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OffGrid973

When I called PA woodmizer about this last year they stated the rails are not meant to support the LT-10 on the road, and shouldn't be leveraged to tilt the mill into a truck bed, but I plan to figure something out for my new trailer that arrives next month.

That being said if you can get a winch near the trailer tounge and some different PVC pipe sizes I image the Egyptian rolling technique wood work quite easily, then secure down to some 4x4 to stablize keeping it level.  Only concern I can think of is the rattling so maybe some kind of gym mats (thick rubber) to stabilize the tricky areas.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Jeff

An lt30 is on wheels. Nothing like an lt15 or lt10.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Jeff on October 11, 2017, 09:09:14 PM
An lt30 is on wheels. Nothing like an lt15 or lt10.

Missed that part.
I have backed one trailer onto another before.  Not too difficult.  The tricky part was tying it down. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dan_Shade

Can you tow one trailer with another in  Michigan?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Yea, but that's not something I want to try.

Jeff

I'll be by myself for this, and when I get to the cabin, there will be no support equipment to assist in an unload.

paul case

I am sure you could do it. maybe jack up the trailer a bit while it is hooked to your pickup.

Pickup headed slightly downhill could be a help? second thought the bed of the trailer needs to be level so the mill doesnt roll.

My tool of choice would be a hand crank winch or comealong. Shouldnt be too much weight to pull and once the wheels are on the trailer you should be able to roll it where you want it. That mill is 20' long? Should be a 3' or 4' tongue on your trailer that you could put the main beam on the end out over and maybe the leg on the tongue of the mill would maybe hit the bed of the trailer.

Pictures please!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Darrel

Jeff, I did this once with my LT40. Pulled it on with a come-a-long, put the mill's hitch directly over the trailer's hitch and tied it down. Getting it off was a little more fiddley but not bad.  There was no place to attach the come-a-long directly in the center so it wanted to go crooked.  Pulled at a bit of an angle and it did ok.  I used a 16' flatbed, tandem axel.  Overall length of trailer with tongue is 22' so I had a couple of feet hanging off the back.  I just plugged the mills lights into the pickup.  I'd post a picture if I had one. Oh, I also took the tail gait off the pickup.  Don't think I needed to but I didn't want to find out the hard way that I should have.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ljohnsaw

I had to rescue a little tilt bed trailer that the hinge point got broken off so it was only held on by the lock pin on the front of the flat bed.  I secured the draw bar with ratchet straps so I could tow it to civilization.  Once there, I had my flatbed hitched to my truck (my flat bed is very high).  I put my ramps down and used another vehicle to back the crippled trailer up the ramps and on to my trailer.  At home, I did the reverse with my daughter's 4Rnr.  I *could* have just blocked the wheels on the trailer but without a tie down (truck hitch) the flatbed would have probably lifted.

So, long story short, use two vehicles or somehow secure the flatbed hitch to the ground (tie to a tree?).  If needed, get a high rise receiver for the vehicle that is pushing the sawmill up the ramps to the flatbed.  Don't you have an ATV/UTV?  Use that to push/pull it on the trailer and keep it attached for the ride to the cabin.

Pictures of your trailer?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WLC

May I ask why you need, or want, to trailer the LT30?  (ETA: that doesn't sound nice, but no offense intended)

If I remember correctly you are allowed to tow double up there aren't you?  I saw a truck with a slide in camper pulling a boat and a four wheeler trailer once somewhere between the bridge and Crystal Falls.  As long as you don't have to do much (in my case any ;D) backing up towing tandem shouldn't be too awful.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Jemclimber

Ljohnsaw,     to keep the hitch from rising, put jack stands under the rear of the trailer and chock the trailer wheels to keep the trailer from rolling while loading and unloading it. Then the hitch won't rise.  I've moved many things on a flatbed, but I usually have a helper, rope and plenty of chains with binders.

Jeff, show us a picture of your flatbed. Is the deck in between or over the wheels? Long ramps supported with blocks ease the angle getting it on/off the trailer. You could back it on and pull it off with the truck with some 16' ramps. Do you know anyone that can cut some long ramps? :D  2x's supported in a few spots so the ramps don't flex or break and it should be fine. Slide the ramps under the mill for transport and don't forget to bring the support blocks with you, and don't forget to block the rear of the trailer so the tongue doesn't flip up.  As others have said, make sure you have tongue weight, and that it is well chained to the trailer.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!