iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber carts, what do you use?

Started by opticsguy, October 12, 2017, 10:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Am interested in what you are using to move your lumber. I have a manual mill and often move my long lumber manually.  Yes, I do have a tractor with a forklift on my 3-point but too cumbersome for long boards in a somewhat confined environment.  I have a couple of home made lumber carts that work OK, but not great.  I recently purchased a two-wheeled wheelbarrow and have found it to be an easy way for moving long lumber 12' to 18' long.  The lumber is simply picked up on the handle end of the barrow and moves great and easy ans easily steerable.

Recently I was at an old old boat house where there was an antique, two wheeled cart, about 8 feet long and appears to be used the same as my barrow. All the lumber would have been held close to waist level.

So, what are you using?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Kbeitz

This works great for me. Middle wheels are about 2" lower than the rest.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Coltbodi

I'm not much help, I'm lucky to have lots of room and a tractor with a front end loader. But when I move long stuff that would be to unstable on the forks I use chokers. I don't know how much room you have I know you said it was limited, But you might could use a boom poll on you three point and 2 chokers. On my mill I try to cut as much at once as I can and I don't take it off the mill on every pass, earlier I cut (26) 3/4x10's and (26) 3/4x6's out of one block and never took any of them off until I was done, that way I could pick up the entire stack. Would be really simple and a lot easier to pick up that stack with a boom pole and some straps rather than unloading that whole stack onto a cart and having to push it somewhere. But if that's not an option I like that cart the fella above me posted, very smart idea having the middle wheels a tad longer, makes it a lot easier to steer.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

alanh

I usually use the forks on the fel, but I also have some tight spots, for the real long stuff I use the boat trailer my brother in law left here years ago, was simple to build a platform on it and I move it with the tractor or atv, probably can find em cheap somewhere..

Thank You Sponsors!