iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rocklinizer

Started by Log-ic, October 11, 2017, 06:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Log-ic

Hi,
Is there anybody who has experience with "rocklinizing" tips of a bandsaw?  It's a machine that allows you to apply a (very thin) layer of tungsten carbide or titanium carbide to any metal.  It should cosiderably extend the life time of the cutting edge of theeth.  My experience so far is mixed, I.e. in some circumstances it doubled the cutting time between two sharpenings,  but it also doubled the time spend per band in the sharp shop.

Also, in case of contact with dirt the layer will be gone very fast.  finally, I hit several nails with a rocklinized band, and I was quite impressed.  Although I had to replace the band after the accident, it was in each and every case perfectly possible to continue to cut.  The saw continued to go straight after the contact, allowing to finish the engaged cut. 

I also started "rolling" my bands a few years ago, that also resulted a tremendous difference in cutting speed and sawing quality.
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

Coltbodi

What does rolling your bands mean?
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Log-ic

In short, the toothed side of a band has a tendency to elongate due to heat and friction.  This loss of inernal tension will soon result in wavy cuts, unless reducing the feed force.  It is not possible to reverse this phenomenon.  However, the effect can be compensated by elongating the back of the band (and/or the central part for wide bands) in a rolling bench.  You will then elongate slightly the steel molecules whith as a result that the back (and/or the central part) of your band will elongate.  By doing so the toothed side is tensioned again, allowing to cut fast and straight.  I even roll a convex back in new bands before even using them, they perform really much better.  The wider the bands are, the more important tension will be because on wide bands it is not possible to compensate lack of internal tension by increasing the strain. 
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Husqvarna chainsaws...

JRWoodchuck

Could you post a photo or video of your roller? This is the second thread I've read about rolling bands lately and I'am intrigued. No help on the Rocklinizing though.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Revival Sawmill

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on October 12, 2017, 01:29:57 PM
Could you post a photo or video of your roller? This is the second thread I've read about rolling bands lately and I'am intrigued. No help on the Rocklinizing though.

Cook's saws has some videos out where they talk about rolling bands and anti-clastic-curvature - the first one is at https://youtu.be/DdpCvHVTml8

Log-ic

That's right, Cook's have probably the best suitable equipment for rolling narrow bands, their expanations are crystal clear too.  Unfortunately they have no representatives in Europe..  The machine I use is a Vollmer, pretty similar to  the rolling bench in this video from Zenz.  Mine is over 50 years old but works still perfectly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VjqF71i7wlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjqF71i7wlk

(embedding the vid doesn't seems to be that easy here but just copy/paste the youtube link in your address bar)...
Husqvarna chainsaws...

Jeff

Or maybe it's easier than you think.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!