iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lady bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Tom_in_Mo., December 31, 2004, 02:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_in_Mo.

I was just wondering if any body else has them things as bad as we do here in S.E.Mo.
Whats the best way to get rid of them things? We have them in the house in the winter months. This is the first year these little ladies have been such a pest.

sprucebunny

Sometimes I use the vacume cleaner w/a soft brush to get them off the ceiling where they seem to congregate. But to be 'eco-correct' ,I'd have ta tell you to use low setting on vacume.  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Yup, shop vac.  I dont think its possible to seal a house up against them. I dont know how they get in. THe trouble makers are actually asian beetles.  They sure are wide spread buggers.;
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bitternut

Yes we had a real bad infestation of them the last couple of years. They give off a real foul odor when disturbed. My vacum cleaner and shop vac stink now. The smell is impossible to get out. I would like to box them all up and dump them in the front door of the jerk that imports and sells their eggs to gardeners. I found that if they can't find any aphids to eat they will eat my grapes. They also will bite people. I now spray them when ever I see any. Must have worked because I had very few of them this past fall. I still see them advertised in gardening catalogs. Should be a law against bringing them into the country.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Got rid of most of mine!  ;D
The trick was in the renovation! ;)
After I get the front part of the house done, I don't think I'll have ANY of them in the house. ;D ;D

The soap and water thing really does work, just don't use it IN the house! ;)

SwampDonkey

I nuked mine and the majority of the house flies with those CIL strips. I haven't seen any beetles yet in the house.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

We have had them for three years now. This fall was the worst, there were just clouds of them. You literally could not go outside on a couple days without them getting in your nose and ears and hair...it was awful.

Now they are in the house again htis winter. Everytime it warms up a little about a thousand more appear on the windows and on the ceiling. I am going to have to get a big long nozzle for the vacumn cleaner to reach the ceiling. For now we just wait for them to drop to the floor. They are disgusting little creatures.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Woodcarver

We have an old electorlux vacuum cleaner that's dedicated to lady beetle duty.  We use it nearly everyday. No doubt the beetles help with the soy bean aphids, but they are a real nuisance in the house.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Gunny

Our cat, "Bob", eats them by the score.  And then he takes a nap.

GF

Opened up the lid on my gas grill and had a bunch in there, did they ever make a mistake.  :D  Couldnt get myself to eat a grilled one.

kcpalmer

My husband and I are roofers and on alot of the houses and our house also we have seen like walls of them.  One house we roofed I was cleaning the ground and on one end of that house was a wall full of different colored lady bugs..  There were yellow and dark red and pink looking ones I didn't know there were different colors.  But there have been alot of them this year.  

Kim

OneWithWood

This is the first winter in a long time that the pesky critters have not beern crawling on the ceilings and dropping down at ill fated times, like during a meal :o.  Not only do they emit a pungent order but they have a real bitter taste, or so my wife says :D
I am hoping we have survived the worst of them.  We actually captured some of the red ones this summer and released them in the greenhouses.  They do a much better job of devouring any aphids that happen along then the orange and yellow asian variety.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Engineer

Good way to get the smell out of the vacuum - crush a few dozen moth balls and suck 'em up.  Did that with my Shop Vac, and emptied it almost immediately, and two months later it still smells like moth balls.

ettek

We have the same issue here in S.E. Oklahoma.  I've been told that they are not "LadyBugs" but are actually Asian Beetles released by the local forestry company here to control fungus growth on their trees.

Wife

Tom in Mo, try shifting house, say.....to NZ, no probs with them "critters" here. Lol.
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Tom_in_Mo.

Well, howdy there Kerris, Hows about coming for a visit and I will give you a whole suit case full of them little (*&^%$$
Really it will only take a few, for they multiply faster than rabbits. ;D

MrMoo

Anyone try loading the shotgun with bugshot and using that on them ladybugs? We use it up here on the black flies in May  :)

Tom_in_Mo.

kinda hard on furniture and could get the roof leaking ;D

MrMoo

Ayup bugshot in the house does have its side effects.  :D

sprucebunny

I had to sweep them off the door to get in. They are even on the windows and foundation rocks.

It's getting a little gross.

Anyone know why there seem to be more and more and more ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Last couple years these Asian beetles have not been so bad IN the house. Not sure if its the spray (Ortho "Home Defense" is what I use) or not, but just spray the siding and around the doors and windows, and threshholds. See lots of dead ones and only a few hitchhikers getting inside. When the air is warm they really swarm outside and fly like they are drunk. Can bite too.
This spray is good for spiders and other crawling/walking insects, and claims to last up to three months. I treat every two weeks and the apparent results are great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I hadn't seen more than a couple til today and they were the worst right in front of the shop where I needed to use the welder.  I got pretty annoyed to say the least >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

asy

OH for some Ladybugs...

These are the types of Beetles we get in the house.

The big one on the front page of that site is about an inch long, and they get into the house and have seemingly NO ability to control their flight. They spin around banging into walls, and they are LOUD. It's like having a rogue helicopter in your house. Then they fall into things and can't get out and die. Found one in my cup this morning... I see now they are called Cowboy Beetles...  I'm just gonna call 'em "Bob Beetles" for short, I think...   ;D

Then there's anohter beetle, we call a click beetle. They get annoyed and sorta flick their body and make a really loud clicking noise. Get a few of them in the house and ya have to turn the telly up.

Then, at night, when we have the windows open and the lights on, there's a little line of beetles outside (like a line in front of the cinema) waiting for enough ceiling space to open up for them to be able to come on in. Between the Mosquitos, moths, bugs and beetles, the ceiling looks like someone went and painted it spotty.

THen the Gecko's come out. They are really cute. There are probably a dozen of them in my lounge room. They come and clean up the bugs. They are seriously well fed.

Then the other day I found a green tree frog hanging off the side of my printer.

Gotta worry, the rogue critters are getting bigger...  What's next???!!!   ::) ::) ::)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SwampDonkey

I get the ground beetle in the house during hot humid summer nights. I blame it on the wood pile where they lay eggs. They are 'night stalkers' and you have them at night. They fly blindly and seem to run into things. The females have a large thoractic plate on their back. They aren't harmful as they eat other critters. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!