iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to the ff. transfer table question

Started by PAmizerman, October 09, 2017, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

I would like to build a transfer table for moving slabs and lumber off the mill.
I saw one that Baker makes and the design will work nice for me. But they are pricey$$$. There's not a whole lot to them. So my question is does anyone know what solenoids are used? Been doing some research and there are a lot of different ones out there. Thanks in advance for any help.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Percy

I work alone most of the time as well and have made my own contraptions for board and slab removal to make life easier and up production. Ya, the WM stuff I looked at was really pricey as well. Here is a couple vids I made a couple years back when I was building alla that stuff. Mabey give you some ideas...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbp_O1cnsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEc7EGkAEto
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PAmizerman

What is the kicker run on? Air? Hydraulics?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

moodnacreek

The first one I built from an old self unloading silage wagon. You can do a lot with # 67 chain and sprocket. I used sch. 80 pipe for shafts.
You can even use pipe for bearings. An old gear box about 60 to one is about right, belt driven by a 3/4 h.p. electric motor The skid ways can be plain steel or oiled locust. If you want forward and reverse you need to keep the chains tight. I think shaft speed was about 25 r.p.m.

4x4American

I used to think Wood-Mizer's industrial line of material handling equipment was pricey too, until I shopped around, looking at the big boy brands, and man, they make WM stuff look cheap lol but they are also built heavier than aunt jamima
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Percy,
Nice builds, I'm jealous. I could use stuff like that.  I'd like to see some other angles so I could see better how made them.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stuart Caruk

Best place to find this stuff is by following the sawmill auctions. When they close down the green chains, log decks, etc sell for cheap. While many sawmills have highly skilled operators, several are full of clueless minions who will drop a log 10' onto the deck, and horridly abuse a green chain. So, they are typically built with ridiculous overkill to survive.

My 5 strand x 20 foot green chain with the drive cost me a whopping $300, but I had to take it out myself. The same thing at a machinery reseller though can be had for around $3000.

Woodmizer stuff is very good quality for the price, but you can get heavier for much less on the used market. Most of the used sawmill stuff will outlive any of us.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

PAmizerman

Thanks for all the input. I agree you get what you pay for. I just have a hard time spending money on something that I feel I can build myself. Building you're own equipment is half the fun right? I think I have it figured out I just was wondering if anyone else has done one before?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Percy

Quote from: PAmizerman on October 10, 2017, 08:52:30 PM
What is the kicker run on? Air? Hydraulics?
Yes. The kicker works on air. I have two of them now. One that works only to the right and another that will kick right or left depending on what switch i've activated. The kickers and rollcase with slabs going right off the end make one man production pretty decent. One kicker stages the edger flitches and I can rough sort the finished lumber coming off the mill into two bays/tables/whatever. Still have to hand pile and trim when needed but the A300 bobcat can drive right up to the lumber on the table and be taken away.

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 10, 2017, 10:52:20 PM
Percy,
Nice builds, I'm jealous. I could use stuff like that.  I'd like to see some other angles so I could see better how made them.
I started making a vid at 4x4's request awhile back but the quality of my vid was awful. I just got a new phone with a camera that works proper so Ill get at that soon.

PAmizerman

Thanks Percy. Can't for the new video. Any chance you could explain in more detail how the kicker works? What valves you use to actute it. Any chance you have the model number of the solenoid you used? A scematic of it? I appreciate all the help. Thanks
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

I started playing around with the pneumatics for the transfer table about a week ago. The problem I'm having is when I just tap the limit switch the cylinder does not fully outstroke. I'm pretty sure I need to be using a different solenoid valve.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Percy

Quote from: PAmizerman on October 12, 2017, 09:27:00 PM
Thanks Percy. Can't for the new video. Any chance you could explain in more detail how the kicker works? What valves you use to actute it. Any chance you have the model number of the solenoid you used? A scematic of it? I appreciate all the help. Thanks
I used 12 volt parker hydraulic valves meant for double acting hydraulic cylinders. The switch I devised is a jake brake clutch switch that is activated when the board on the powered roll case hits a hard plastic mudflap attached appropriatley to it.Its on a hinge and keeps the switch activated till the board drops off the powered rollcase. Then the mudflap falls back to its rest position deactivating the switch. Kicker returns to rest position.  The kicker that works both ways is only slightly more complicated. I used a switch on the mudflap gate that has three terminals(ground, normally open and normally closed). Selecting the appropriate circuit/switch places the kicker in the desired position and when the board hits the mudflap switch assembly, the kicker moves in the pre selected direction. My control panel uses regular household  light switches and a 12 volt battery that has a charger on it  constantly.

PAmizerman

Thanks Percy! I'll be sure and update when I get further along
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Thank You Sponsors!