iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with receptical box pulling out-- Fixed!

Started by gspren, October 09, 2017, 07:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Today the wife used an outlet that we never used before, and we have had this place 4 years. The plug fit tight which is ok but when she unplugged the vac the entire box came out of the wall. It's a normal looking blue plastic box outlet box that wasn't fastened to anything. There is no stud beside the hole so it needs to fasten to the drywall but I've never seen one like that, I hate to just glue it, any suggestions?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Any home improvement store has a box with wings on it.
Take out the existent box and replace it with the box with wings on it.

When you put in the new box, there are screws you turn and the wings go behind the sheet rock.
As you tighten the screws the box becomes secure.

There is 1 wing at the top right and 1 wings at the bottom left of the box....not shown.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clearcut

Poston is describing an Old Work Box. Sometimes called a Remodel or Retrofit box. Plastic wings in opposite corners. You may have one, but the wings were not engaged.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Runningalucas

Trade term is a 'cut in box'; used in a retro fit manner.  The residential plastic boxes, have the attached wings, aka 'sheetrock clamps'.   The box may have pulled out due to the hole cut to big when they put it in; rendering the clamps irrelevant. 

You can go with a metal cut in box, with separate 'sheet rock clamps', and it'll give a far larger baring surface than the attached clamps.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

gspren

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at both. This box is a snug fit so I'll measure the opening before shopping.

Delawhere Jack

Madison clips would work too. No need to replace the box.

gspren

OK, today I pulled the old box out and it was an "old work box" like Poston showed but both wings were broken off and then they glued it back in. I picked up a new one for $1.49 and grabbed a new receptacle while I was at it since the original being overly tight probably caused the break. So for less than $5.00 all is well, and yes I tripped the breaker off while changing. Thanks!

james

yes I tripped the breaker off while changing. Thanks!

I usally try to trip the breaker before working on things like that ,doing so while working on them can cause things  like magic smoke , new hairdos ,and screams of pain
james
resident smart donkey

maple flats

Rather than trip the breaker, shut it off before starting. If not sure which controls that recepticle plug something into the outlet and turn breakers off one at a time until you ID the right one.
Trying to replace an outlet or switch with the power on is very dangerous, your wife could be calling the undertaker rather than her girl friends to say how proud of the good job you did.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

gspren

OK guys, my wording wasn't clear. Before I started I tripped, "turned off" the breaker and when finished I turned it back on and then used one of those nifty receptacle testers that confirm all is correct. Around here we say "I tripped" meaning "I turned off" the breaker, while saying "it tripped" would mean something was wrong. Is that clear as mud? ???

maple flats

That's good then, when we say we tripped the breaker, it tripped because of a short or an overload.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!