iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Warm start on a 42cc Poulan

Started by Spudzooka, October 09, 2017, 06:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spudzooka

I own a 2 year old Poulan Pro that is a nightmare to start when warm (not hot). On a cold start it takes two pulls choked then one pull open to fire up, no sputtering at all. If the saw is restarted within about 20-30 minutes of the previous use it takes one easy pull to fire up. However if it has sat for 30mins- 4 hours, it is a complete nightmare to get started. I have tried no choke, open throttle, halve choke, full choke, start as if cold.

The saw has seen pretty hard use as I live in florida on 10 acres of forest and have helped clear fallen trees from the hurricane. Spark plug is clean, air filter is clear, chain moves freely. This may have been answered before but I have accepted the fact that I am pretty bad at trying to find things on the internet.

dougand3

Welcome. Could be vapor lock. When saw cools for 30 mins - 4hr, try opening fuel cap (fuel will prob squirt out under pressure) and push purge bulb to put liquid fuel in carb.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

joe_indi

Replace the pickup body.
Another thing that would really make a big difference is to replace the present spark plug with one from a known brand. Try the same plug that is standard on Stihl saws, NGK BPMR 7a. I have found them to make a remarkable difference in starting and running characteristics  of most saws.

Thank You Sponsors!