iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual mill owners and flipping logs and cants

Started by fishfighter, October 09, 2017, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Been building my saw mill shack.  Owning a Woodland 126 manual mill and at my age spinning 26" logs is very hard for me. :( In my shack build, I was planning of adding a rail system, winch and cant hook above the mill bed to flip logs.

Well, yesterday I had I got a HF engine lift for free, A little work to beef it up and adding a winch, I really thing it could flip a log or big cant. As is, it is rated a 2k.

Percy

That is a great idea. I'm thinking if you could somehow mount that thing on a turntable of sorts you could lift and spin large railroad tie type cants into a pile or even a pickup or trailer.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

I like your log turner idea.

Any time that I am turning a log by any other means than the log turner, I like to wrap my chain around the log and use my end tong.  This seems to give me better control and also doesn't require that the end tong bite into the log as deeply.

Here I am doing a reverse roll with the log clamp, but the principle is the same.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Here's what I load and flip logs with. The mast is 4" od with a 4.5" id swinging boom on it and a 2500 lb pull winch. It has  motorized in/out to ideally position the pull point. When I was building it I came very close to using Percy's idea of pivoting to pick up and load logs/lumber but that would have required a 2nd sliding beam to go in/out under the mill. As it is, I don't pivot more than about 10-20°. It has been a satisfactory design for me; it also assists in lifting logs once on the mill to reposition them. This is a 2nd generation design because I bent the 1st one. With the current one I have tilted the entire mill with no adverse effects.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crusarius

Fishfighter, at a minimum I would try to hinge it so it just lays down out of the way so you don't have to keep rolling it. Or you need something it will roll easy on.

larrydown60

Fishfighter, I like your original idea better an I beam with a set of chain falls would be safer and out of the way. What you have now would work till you get the saw mill shed done Just my two cents. I don't like walking or working around my new loader but it will work for now

fishfighter

Quote from: Crusarius on October 09, 2017, 07:21:46 PM
Fishfighter, at a minimum I would try to hinge it so it just lays down out of the way so you don't have to keep rolling it. Or you need something it will roll easy on.

I plan on putting some concrete 12"x12" blocks under so it would be easy to roll out the way.

Lynn, reading a lot of your post as you did here gave me the idea of this project. ;D

Oh, you could pick me up on your way out west. :D Had enough of this heat here. :o

fishfighter

Quote from: larrydown60 on October 09, 2017, 07:39:42 PM
Fishfighter, I like your original idea better an I beam with a set of chain falls would be safer and out of the way. What you have now would work till you get the saw mill shed done Just my two cents. I don't like walking or working around my new loader but it will work for now

I have a couple 5K winches on hand that are 12v with remotes. This will be used just to flip/spin logs and cants. Not to lift anything. That will be done with my tractor or backhoe. I could do the spinning with them, but I just don't want to have to climb up on one of them if I don't have to. ;D hell getting old. ;D

Kbeitz

I started out like that then I mounted it right on the building...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

K, my plans are to take out the ram and just weld in a small Ibeam or something. Don't think the ram could handle the weight.

alanh

I use this with an identical hook and chain as MM, a HF 2k winch with the wireless remote makes it easy to guide the wobbly ones

hunterbuild

Been using my skid steer and a strap to turn big logs, but getting tired of getting in and out of it in my old age.  smiley_old_guy

fishfighter

Been using my backhoe front bucket to do the same. And yes, it is a pain in the backside climbing in and out to just spin a log. :( Hope to get that hoist done next week. Been tied up with honey do's painting inside the house. >:(

Thank You Sponsors!