iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live Edge Slabs

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, October 09, 2017, 12:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Is it me or what?
Seems like live edge slabs are all the rage these days.
I'm seeing more posts about them here, Craigs list is full of them.
I'm even seeing them on face book for sale.

anyway, hope the market doesn't get too saturated, I want to try to sell some too!!!  ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its not you....it's what?  :D

Live edge is the rage.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishfighter

Tell me this. I have a live edge Live Oak that I sawed out a couple years ago. Really nice piece that I am keeping for myself. 4" thick and 8' long.

Problem is, the inside bark fell off as one piece. How does one glue it back on and the best glue?

That is the slab under other boards that were saw off.

WDH

If you cut slabs and want the bark to stay on, cut the slabs in the winter time when the tree is dormant and the bark will be tight.  In the Spring and Summer when the tree is actively growing, the bark will not stay on.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Well, that is just part of a branch and it was  fell in April, and free. Still a very nice piece that I am using as a bench under my patio. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't get a whole lot of Live Oak and I'm personally glad.
I just don't have any luck with it. Kinda rubs my fur backwards.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

I can't give them away at a $1.00 a BF. W Pine, I have a barn full of Black cherry, can't sell them at $2.oo a bf. But I sell a lot of 2x4s.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
This winter I'm going to put legs on them and see if they sell. If not , then fire wood. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

You must not be holding your mouth right (old saying)  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

The way I sold some SYP live edge slabs was build some benches out of them. Got a big stack of syp slabs now. Fixing to bench them out for Christmas. ;D

Takes me about an hour to build and I charge $100 for them. Cost me less then $5 each to build. ;D

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Chop Shop

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 09, 2017, 12:51:48 PM
Is it me or what?
Seems like live edge slabs are all the rage these days.
I'm seeing more posts about them here, Craigs list is full of them.
I'm even seeing them on face book for sale.

anyway, hope the market doesn't get too saturated, I want to try to sell some too!!!  ;D

Jon

No kidding?

Saturated, ya don't say?    popcorn_smiley

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on October 09, 2017, 07:46:55 PM
You must not be holding your mouth right (old saying)  :).

Nay, The customers I get are too smart to spend big $$ on slabs. I see things at the fairs and just shake my head at the prices.

No time in making this over priced stuff.
Now if you want something that takes talent to do and spend $$ here you go.

If you have customers that will spend big $$ on slabs good for you and best of luck. Maybe I need a better customer base. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brad_bb

I put slabs, specifically 4 inch thick brace stock, in my pole barn for a year to dry.  The bark seem to then stick pretty well.  If I then wanted to keep the bark on, I'd treat it with water thin epoxy, soaking coat after coat in to saturate it and get it to soak down through the cambium. Then after that, I'd be careful not bump or bang it.  I don't know about the winter summer thing... that will affect how much sap/moisture is in the cambium layer.  I dry the bark on Walnut and Cherry so that the under layers of bark paper stick to the brace stock.  After it has dried enough (a year does it) I draw knife the bark off leaving the paper adhering.  Then I sand it, and clear shellac it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

petefrom bearswamp

Old thread.
I agree with Peter.
I dont have too many, maybe 40 or so Cherry, Sugar and Red maple
On marketplace on FB I can find at least 15 sites with these for sale at bargain prices, I cant compete with these guys.
I can make more $ selling Hemlock and White pine lumber. 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

The key for me is offering flat, planed, and kiln dried to below 10%, slabs.  Many people saw them, very few people dry and prepare them properly.  If I did not have a kiln, I would probably not fool with them either. 

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on June 26, 2019, 11:00:57 AM
The key for me is offering flat, planed, and kiln dried to below 10%, slabs.  Many people saw them, very few people dry and prepare them properly.  If I did not have a kiln, I would probably not fool with them either.
It's the same for me.  I'm selling oak slabs almost every week.  Kiln dried down to 8%, and #1 or #2 common grade.  Sometimes we will straight line rip and epoxy fill before planing.  Typically selling for $6.00 for red oak on up (12" - 18" wide).  WO and other species start at $9.00.  This is for splatted edge, lower grade lumber.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

florida

I had a neighbor once who would sell stuff, wood,worn out tolls, you name it, all at prices that would make your head spin.  I'd ask him, in a nice way, if people didn't get mad st him or call him a crook. He said they did but since he eventually sold everything at his price he didn't care.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!