iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much bug damage is too much?

Started by sgtbowe, October 09, 2017, 08:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtbowe

I'm working, slowly, on a timber framed home made of white and red pine and a little white spruce. Some of the logs I'm milling are salvaged and have some beetle damage. Some were cut this summer and already have damage. Some have a LOT and look like swiss cheese. I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb for an allowable amount of damage before structural integrity is compromised. I don't mind the look. In fact I kind of like it. I just want to make sure this thing doesn't collapse in a couple of years.   

MbfVA

I am almost is newbie as you are, but I know the guys here are going to ask for a couple things:

-Fill out your profile so we will know where you are, as that has an influence on a lot of answers;

-Post some photographs of what you're discussing--you know the old saying about the picture being worth 1000 words.

If you're subject to inspection & lumber grading on your build, you definitely have a big issue on that alone.  Regardless, in my opinion you are 100% correct to be careful.   Your insurance likely will not cover bugs.

If you click down at the bottom to be "notified" when someone posts on this thread, you'll get automatic notifications, handy in case you haven't done that.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Don P

The language is here, 1.6.1;
http://nlga.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/NGR-Interpretations-14.pdf

The main index for the whole grading manual is here;
http://nlga.org/en/publications-for-download/

If there are more than a scattered very few I don't think anyone would be able to pass it in a real grading, the true extent of the tunneling becomes an unknown. I asked a grader about having him grade old log home logs, that was his reasoning when he said it probably wouldn't work.

MbfVA

take note that "wormy chestnut",  while some consider it charming, has  to my knowledge only been used for paneling, not for structural 😐☠️
www.ordinary.com (really)

sgtbowe

Thanks for the info. I'm not subject to inspection so that's not an issue. I'll fill out my profile as well. And I'll get some pics when I have a chance.

Thank You Sponsors!