iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak stumps

Started by florida, October 09, 2017, 08:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

I got a phone call from a guy who used to work for me. He's working for a company that is cleaning up Irma debris all over Florida. He told me that up in Osceola county almost all the downed trees were grandfather live oaks and that they were saving all the root balls because they had heard they were worth big money! I told him I had never heard of a market for oak root balls but that I would ask the experts.
So, is there a market?

Also, what about pines? Years ago they used to haul pine stumps out of here by the trainloads but I haven't seen that in more than 20 years. Is there still a market for pine stumps?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

bucknwfl

There is a guy up here that logs the pine stumps. I believe he has to wait a few years after the trees are cut. i am not sure of all the specifics but I see him hauling them by the truck loads each week

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

fishfighter

OP, heck, tell him to come to my place in Louisiana in pick up a few truck loads of oak stumps that I haul off into my woods. ;D

WV Sawmiller

I grew up near where Buck is and used to see train car loads of heart pine (we called them lighterd/lightard) stumps. The sap wood had long rotted away. I always understood it was going to a turpentine plant or such. Since I have long moved away to an area where pines are not as common I am not current whether there is still a market for pine stumps.

I never heard of a use for oak stumps and my experience is they rot away pretty quickly. Let us know if you find a use/market for the oaks.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

florida

Thanks. You all confirmed what I already thought. The guy that called me told me they had been stockpiling the oak stumps for later resale. He said he had heard they went for as much as $4,000.00 each! I told him that at $4,000 each no one would have to pay to have them hauled away.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Live oak stumps were historically the best source for wooden ship's knees, the naturally curved braces throughout the ship that reinforce the masts and frame of the ship. At one time the government laid claim to them just as they did to large mast trees. If there is a need to find market start with wooden boat shipyards.

He died a few years ago but up in Maine was a gentleman who called his company Newman's Knees. His were tamarack I think but he kept a supply and would saw them out per order on a woodmizer.

WDH

The pine stumps bought today are made into chemicals. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!