iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clogging bar oil hole....

Started by mrcaptainbob, October 08, 2017, 10:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

MS310 with 20" bar. Gets lots of use, about 14 full cords a year. Started last year. Cutting through sometimes come across the powder left from squirrels, 'coons or just plain rot. The oil stops flowing. At first I thought the chain cover plate was warped a bit and I made up an aluminum plate with four added layers near the top, right where the saw body oil groove is. The thought being to press the bar tight against the saw body in that area. But it kept happening. Now I'm thinking maybe the drivers are carrying the guck around the top and packing it backwards to the oil hole, and, consequently, the saw body oil groove. I do find as much as 3/4 of that groove firmly packed along with the bar groove and oil hole. So, now to the question... is that possible?

DelawhereJoe

Couple of questions for you about your bar and chain, how old are they and are the bottom drivers in good condition. Also after a while the chain slot in the bar becomes worn allowing the dirt and dust to cling to the inside instead of being removed. HolmenTree had posted some pictures a while back about re-cutting the hook on the drive link once they become worn. If you have a newer b/c you mite want to try it to see if the problem continues.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

mrcaptainbob

good thought. I will do that. This bar does have some miles on it. Thanks, Joe.

mrcaptainbob

Got a new oil pump, bar, two chains, clutch cup and driver gear.  What I was most surprised at is how worn the teeth were on the oil pump spline gear. the counter guy, works exclusively on all things Stihl, said the pump should be pushing enough oil to keep it freed. Since there's a tremendous amount of oil in that area from just a few seconds running, and the fact that it leaves a puddle when just setting, I'm thinking it may well be that oil pump and it's connectors have seen better days. Unfortunately I won't get back to it until later next week. When I do I will replace only the clutch cup an the driver, along with the new oil pump. I will use the old bar and chain first to see what transpires. Kind of an experiment....
Sure do appreciate the help and suggestions....

Thank You Sponsors!