iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT70 Wood Splitter....or......How to Avoid Swinging an Axe

Started by Percy, October 08, 2017, 04:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Beavertooth

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

jayhdjr

Logosol M7, Stihl 041, Stihl MS 310, Kubota B26

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Percy

Quote from: red on October 08, 2017, 05:37:26 PM
That's about a Full Cord of solid wood .
16 feet long, 6 feet high, 6 feet wide when its four rows.(4x18 inches). Im not a cord guy...issat a cord?? Should last me most of the winter..(Nov-March.)

drobertson

yea man,,, I've done very similar in the past, not really setting out too? but when I saw it working that way, it happened, bets the crap out of swinging for sure,  8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

Solid Wood , I thought it would be neat to saw some timbers smaller than RR ties . Then saw and cut like you did  for $25 more . 4x4x8  or 128cubic feet
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

rjwoelk

Just remember cut like that and stacked solid with no air space . A cord is 80 to 84 cubic ft not 128. It is not fair to short change anyone including yourself.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

rjwoelk

Thats if you split it. He is sawing it and it does not have the air space random splits do. Infact take a 4x4x8 cord stack it several times and get several different measurements. Here in canada its all metric. Go to convert to cord and depending on the species of wood different conversion factors. That measurment is close like horseshoes and handgranads.  :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Oliver05262

A cord is a cord is a cord. Legal cord is 8 feet X 4 feet X 4 feet whether it's a solid chunk or apple twigs.
Volume is set by statute--price per cord is negotiable.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Percy

Quote from: JB Griffin on October 08, 2017, 07:12:56 PM
4x4x8=128 cubic feet.
Allrighty then....I think I used to know this....heh......regardless, my guzzintas using your formula and my measurements(1.5 feet x 6 feet x 16 feet) says I have 144 cubic feet per row. I have 3.5 rows so that gives me 504 cubic feet. Divide by 128 gives me 3.94 cords.....How'd I do??? :P ;D

alanh

you did great, I`ve been doing it that way since I got the mill, best part is never bending over, buck it up on the mill, put it in the bucket, I dont even stack, I use the little tractor and drive in the shed and dump it, I burn 4-5 cords, best thing for firewood since the wood stove, (well, other than a processor, but I dont have one of those)

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, that's what I came up with!

Sorry rjwoelk, I have to disagree with your logic.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

rjwoelk

Well the whole problem is this.  You order say a truck load of logs 16 ft long, so the guy measures them and does his deal with the 4x4x8 and then says well that measures 14 cords.  Now the weights and measure guys say those logs are to be 8 ft long.  And stacked tight. well they only get so tight. then I get them and chop them into 16 inch and split and my 14 cord is no longer 14. So the only way to recapture is sell it by the bag. and or charge enough to cover the loss. My logs are droping into bags and i fiqure 160 cubic ft  to the cord, and that has worked out fine when we stack it here at home. On a per bag bases around 53 cubic ft. I have had several guys think they were getting a cord and were very surprised when i told them no approx 1/3 of a cord. As long as the customer is happy and we the seller are happy. All is good.

4x4American

Can you measure by bf scale like int 1/4" and pay based on that and convert into cords later?
Boy, back in my day..

Weekend_Sawyer

If your log delivery guy says he delivers 4 cords in logs and you cut split and stack these logs and it comes out to be only 2 cords. You have been shorted 2 cords.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ButchC

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 10, 2017, 07:23:31 AM
If your log delivery guy says he delivers 4 cords in logs and you cut split and stack these logs and it comes out to be only 2 cords. You have been shorted 2 cords.

Exactly,
My experience with what we call grapple loads here is to expect a yield of 60- 75% of what they say is on the  truck. I think they measure outside the log racks and multiply times the longest log in the load, then average any decimal up to the next whole cord and add the volume of the cab for good measure,,,, ::)

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on October 09, 2017, 07:52:06 PM
I gotta couple two three pieces of that myself lol

Nice...now you just gotta stack it all, you old coot!!! :D

Wudman

Quote from: rjwoelk on October 09, 2017, 09:53:53 PM
Well the whole problem is this.  You order say a truck load of logs 16 ft long, so the guy measures them and does his deal with the 4x4x8 and then says well that measures 14 cords.  Now the weights and measure guys say those logs are to be 8 ft long.  And stacked tight. well they only get so tight. then I get them and chop them into 16 inch and split and my 14 cord is no longer 14. So the only way to recapture is sell it by the bag. and or charge enough to cover the loss. My logs are droping into bags and i fiqure 160 cubic ft  to the cord, and that has worked out fine when we stack it here at home. On a per bag bases around 53 cubic ft. I have had several guys think they were getting a cord and were very surprised when i told them no approx 1/3 of a cord. As long as the customer is happy and we the seller are happy. All is good.

That is why the southern United States uses a set of scales.  A short ton of wood (pulp) weighs 2000 pounds on Monday morning or Friday afternoon.  All of our fiber sales are on a weight basis.  We still stick scale a few grade logs, but everything else is sold on a weight basis.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

rjwoelk

So your saying your wood weighs the same regardless of when its cut. Here its all over the place. Fresh logs weigh more than year old logs. Split wood from fresh logs is going to be heavier than dryed out wood. See we get some yearold harvested birch to fresh cut birch this can be in the same load. Logs in a stack are going to be dryer on the outside or top as oposed to the centre ones. Its a perplexing issue if one gets someone that is very nitpicky about how much he gets. I suppose that if the buyer is happy that is all that matters. We do not sell seasoned wood here, it comes in is split and sold as is. On our web site it is stated as such if you want dry ready to burn winter fuel to get it in the late spring early summer and dry it at your place. We cant afford 120 cord inventory just to help the procrastinaters out. Our customers are getting better at getting it early.
That all said I try to keep selling off the dryest bags first.

Magicman

There is nothing other than "fresh felled" on any log trucks that I see and everything is weighed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I don't know the exact definition of a cord here, but I'm pretty sure it is for round wood. A cord of  split wood is legally smaller. All firewood is supposed to be sold be the cord, or fraction thereof, not by the "load", or some other random unit.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

redprospector

Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2017, 02:31:30 PM
There is nothing other than "fresh felled" on any log trucks that I see and everything is weighed.
The only time logs are weighed around here, DOT is involved.    :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!