The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: LT70 Wood Splitter....or......How to Avoid Swinging an Axe  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
Re: LT70 Wood Splitter....or......How to Avoid Swinging an Axe
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:25 am »
Well the whole problem is this.  You order say a truck load of logs 16 ft long, so the guy measures them and does his deal with the 4x4x8 and then says well that measures 14 cords.  Now the weights and measure guys say those logs are to be 8 ft long.  And stacked tight. well they only get so tight. then I get them and chop them into 16 inch and split and my 14 cord is no longer 14. So the only way to recapture is sell it by the bag. and or charge enough to cover the loss. My logs are droping into bags and i fiqure 160 cubic ft  to the cord, and that has worked out fine when we stack it here at home. On a per bag bases around 53 cubic ft. I have had several guys think they were getting a cord and were very surprised when i told them no approx 1/3 of a cord. As long as the customer is happy and we the seller are happy. All is good.

That is why the southern United States uses a set of scales.  A short ton of wood (pulp) weighs 2000 pounds on Monday morning or Friday afternoon.  All of our fiber sales are on a weight basis.  We still stick scale a few grade logs, but everything else is sold on a weight basis.

Wudman

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 11:36:03 am »
So your saying your wood weighs the same regardless of when its cut. Here its all over the place. Fresh logs weigh more than year old logs. Split wood from fresh logs is going to be heavier than dryed out wood. See we get some yearold harvested birch to fresh cut birch this can be in the same load. Logs in a stack are going to be dryer on the outside or top as oposed to the centre ones. Its a perplexing issue if one gets someone that is very nitpicky about how much he gets. I suppose that if the buyer is happy that is all that matters. We do not sell seasoned wood here, it comes in is split and sold as is. On our web site it is stated as such if you want dry ready to burn winter fuel to get it in the late spring early summer and dry it at your place. We cant afford 120 cord inventory just to help the procrastinaters out. Our customers are getting better at getting it early.
That all said I try to keep selling off the dryest bags first.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 02:31:30 pm »
There is nothing other than "fresh felled" on any log trucks that I see and everything is weighed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 02:51:36 pm »
I don't know the exact definition of a cord here, but I'm pretty sure it is for round wood. A cord of  split wood is legally smaller. All firewood is supposed to be sold be the cord, or fraction thereof, not by the "load", or some other random unit.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:34 pm »
There is nothing other than "fresh felled" on any log trucks that I see and everything is weighed.
The only time logs are weighed around here, DOT is involved.    :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 08:09:46 pm »
I see pulp being weighted here,but I don't see much firewood by the cord being weighted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 09:19:31 pm »
Around here anyway you have to be very specific when you talk to the people that sell firewood. If you ask for a cord of wood and they think you don't know any better they will take your money and give you a face cord and gravity stack it for you.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 09:30:03 pm »
I gotta couple two three pieces of that myself :D

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
Nice...now you just gotta stack it all, you old coot!!! :D

Thanks for your offer to come stack it for me, Percy, I'd love to have you come do that seeing as how I'm such an old coot!! lol
Boy, back in my day..

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 10:03:36 pm »
The only time logs are weighed around here, DOT is involved.    :D

I reckon that nobody wins in that weigh in either.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 01:54:46 am »
The compay I get my firewood logs from log and haul it to their yard in the winter. I order in spring,  6 to 10 inch logs butts are 10 to 14 inch. 16 ft long. So these logs may be a year old to a few months old. They have 4 to 6 000 cord a year they go through. So weight would not work either.
I guess every one does what they can and the ones that shaft someone or alot of someones will soon be out of business.  We had the province under fire ban all summer so only sold half as much wood as other years.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Still got all muh fingers
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:27 am »
I gotta couple two three pieces of that myself :D

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
Nice...now you just gotta stack it all, you old coot!!! :D

Thanks for your offer to come stack it for me, Percy, I'd love to have you come do that seeing as how I'm such an old coot!! lol
I dont mind helpin a fellow coffin dodger stack wood. When Im there, we can have a few wobbly pops and then some "walker races"  ;D ;D
BTW, howd you get so old, so fast?? (125)
Its not the "years in your life" but the 'life in your years" that matters...Abe Lincoln

Offline Jemclimber

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:09 am »
He's lying about his age, just like most women do. Only he's going in the right direction.   People will say "WOW, you are in amazing shape for being a 125 years old."
lt15

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Still got all muh fingers
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 10:28:48 am »
He's lying about his age, just like most women do. Only he's going in the right direction.   People will say "WOW, you are in amazing shape for being a 125 years old."
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Its not the "years in your life" but the 'life in your years" that matters...Abe Lincoln

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:00 pm »
No it's true I really am 125 I turned it over the other day on my odometer.
Boy, back in my day..