iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straight 450 clutches

Started by rdobb13, September 30, 2017, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdobb13

Any dry clutch guys got a second to help a fella?

Took about two years too long to rebuild the motor in my straight 450.  Put it back in last week and surprise, the clutches stuck.  They have about a year on them.  Sanded them down, checked the tolerances and they are good.  Should I be able to turn the sprocket with a pry bar when the lever is pulled back to release them?

First I thought sure, it's a clutch.  Now I'm thinking no because it's a whole pack.  Weight and engine force might be required.  It worked fine before.

Thanks to any of you guys that offer advice.

Gearbox

ram it into a tree gently .Pull both clutches and let the clutch out . Then slip the steering clutches to shine them a bit .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

rdobb13

I've got the one side out, cleaned, and reinstalled but I tried releasing the lever and moving them with a pry bar to see it's free but it still won't turn. 

Putting it back together and trying your suggestion is my next step.  Just wanted a second opinion before I do.  Thanks.

coxy

Quote from: Gearbox on September 30, 2017, 10:28:22 AM
ram it into a tree gently .
how do you ram it in a tree gently  ;) :D sorry couldn't  help my self  :)

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

snowstorm

if the bar is 5 ft ya if its 2ft no

rdobb13

Well, no luck after I put it back together.  It stuck just the same.  I measured the fibers to make sure they weren't swollen but looking at the pressure plate there is no room for it to release.

Deere way didn't work, now it's the hillbilly engineering shot.

Put two washers between the pressure plate and brake drum.....worked like a charm.  Let it slip and shine a minute, took one washer out and life is good now.

Thank You Sponsors!