iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hitchless log arch?

Started by Satamax, October 06, 2017, 11:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Daft question do people use hitchless, drawbar less log arches; where the tree is the drawbar, and the winch's câble is the hitch?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Riwaka

Google logging arch fair leads for pictures and names.

mike_belben

Works for pole trailers.. Why not.

I suggest you build it as a regular log arch with drawbar to tow it to the jobsite.  Then just walk it over the log tip, hoist it off the ground (hand winch with tongs is great for this) and then ratchet strap the drawbar to the log.    Youll need that drawbar for leverage to steer it around the woods by hand. 

If you just built a skateboard it would mean having to get the log up in the air to slide the thing under.  A deer gurney is what i would mimic for that style.
Praise The Lord

square1

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Tennboy

this DIY fetching arch can be winched or hitched and lifts an entire log up to 28" diameter

it lifts log by turnbuckle (toplink) on offset axle. small wheels keep hitch from digging into ground
notice pin by handles for winching

also nests in the belly of my DIY tractor arch for easy transport which can haul a 48" diameter log

Satamax

Thank You Sponsors!