iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl oil vent

Started by terizea, October 06, 2017, 07:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terizea

chain on my stihl ms390 wasn't getting enough oil, new pump, o-rings ,adjuster all the way, when I put wire in oil vent it was like a release valve ,oil and air came out is this a defective valve? after cleaning I started it up and oil came out a lot where it suppose to after cutting I directed saw toward plywood so I can see if oiling but no oil against plywood

Woodcutter_Mo

Have you inspected the bar to make sure the oil inlet hole is not plugged? I've had wood chips plug the inlet a few times.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

joe_indi

Quote from: terizea on October 06, 2017, 07:05:21 AM
......when I put wire in oil vent it was like a release valve ,oil and air came out is this a defective valve? after cleaning I started it up and oil came out a lot ..

That is not a good sign. The oil tank needs that vent to let in air  to reduce the vacuum (low pressure) formed by the oil being pumped out.
But you have pressure. Which mean the pump is not pumping out onto the guidebar but pumping in air into the tank. This usually happens from a worn out pump.
But a temporary fix, if it works, is to use a more viscous oil.

knuckledragger

Take the plastic vent plug out, throw it in the trash. Facing the muffler look to the lower left corner. You should see it there. Sometimes compressed air is necessary to remove it. After you have removed the plastic plug replace it with a 6mm machine threaded screw. The oiler vent should allow correct pressure then.

Texas-Jim

That plastic plug isnt a vent on most saws, its just a plug where they drilled a hole. If you take out that plug and turn saw over oil will leak out. The vent is little silver plug by the oil outlet. You can use a needle or something to move it in and out, maybe some carb cleaner.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Thank You Sponsors!