iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many drive belts are you running?

Started by JRWoodchuck, October 05, 2017, 04:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRWoodchuck

Just curious how many drive belts you all have compared to HP.
Thanks!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Coltbodi

My Timberking 1600 has 2 drive belts and a 27 hp motor. The 2 belts are banded together though.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

1860sylvain

warren46

40 Horse Electric.  Triple V-belt.  Should be 4 or 5.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

KamHillbilly

Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

Chuck White

LT40HD, with 25hp Kohler, running a double v-belt!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moodnacreek

Six c belts on a 75 hp electric circle mill.

boscojmb

I have the 51 Hp Cat /Perkins running a triple "C" series belt.

I can still get the belt to slip. A four row "C" series would be better for my engine.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Percy

Pretty much the same as Terrific, 42 hp Kubota three row belt. My blade drive pulleys were worn out at about 8500 hours. If a guy could come up with a reliable clutching system, a cogged belt like drag racers use on their superchargers would aleiviate any slippage.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

JRWoodchuck

I have a 19 hp diesel with one drive belt. I have been wondering if I have been getting slippage while milling causing some rise and fall in my cuts. Still real new to this stuff so just learning. Seems like everybody with 2 has more hp than me. Just trying to rule out possibilities. Thanks for the responses.

Kbeitz

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on October 06, 2017, 06:24:03 PM
I have a 19 hp diesel with one drive belt. I have been wondering if I have been getting slippage while milling causing some rise and fall in my cuts. Still real new to this stuff so just learning. Seems like everybody with 2 has more hp than me. Just trying to rule out possibilities. Thanks for the responses.

I can slip my single belt with my 13 hp Honda.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JRWoodchuck

How would I know it's slipping? If Im getting slipping.

FloridaMike

My mill is still under construction, but will be running two 5/8" belts with a 20.8 hp Honda.
Mike

Kbeitz

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on October 06, 2017, 07:40:29 PM

On my mill I could see the blade slowing down and the carriage also slowed down.
Then it's time for a new belt or something happened. Once my idler spring broke.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Tim

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on October 06, 2017, 07:40:29 PM

You'll hear the belts "bark"... and possibly belch smoke. If they smoke, you'll smell it.

Dodge, Martin and others that manufacture PT components have selection procedures in their engineering catalogues. They are step by step selection guides that are pretty well described in there.

I'm running a triple B speed up drive from 550rpm @ 48hp to ~1650rpm on my shingle mill. When I installed the drive,I had one belt turning over in the centre. I asked a millright friend about the problem. As they do not make matched sets of belts anymore, and in that Don does not like the banded ones, he gave me the fix for the problem. He told me to take the centre belt that was turning over and swap it to the outside. I've run another hundred thousand shingles since without a problem.   
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Thank You Sponsors!