iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cane syrup

Started by Coltbodi, October 22, 2017, 10:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltbodi

I've seen several post about maple syrup, which I would expect since a lot of members on the forum are from the north, just curious if any other members on here make sugarcane syrup. My dad and I do so I'm just looking for connections to bounce ideas off and what not. Or if anyone wants some, I'll gladly send you some. We plan on cooking around thanksgiving.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

DanG

I don't make syrup, but I do own an old horizontal mill. It is a very large one, Chattanooga #95. It was here when I bought the place. I intended to get a little operation going but had too many irons in the fire and never did.

A local fellow, a biology professor, has a website called Southern Matters with a segment on cane syrup. There is some technical info on there that you may find interesting. In fact the whole site makes for some interesting reading.  www.southernmatters.com
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Coltbodi

We have a Kentucky Giant "B" mill. It's from the 1890's. The sides where cast and busted up so I fabbed new ones from 1/2" plate. It's a monster. Weighs about 1800 lbs

If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

caveman

Cane syrup is scrumptious.  After my great uncle died, my family gave my great granddaddy's cane grinder to Steve Melton, who has a museum of old machinery near Dade City, Florida.  He does a cane grinding every year and several people show up for the event.
Caveman

LaneC

The making of cane syrup is in full swing down here in South Mississippi. The cane is a good crop this year, and the ones that I know with mills are smashing and getting good juice. The yellow jackets sure love it too :)
Man makes plans and God smiles

Savannahdan

I don't recall ever having any cane syrup.  There's some folks that came up from Louisiana many years ago to work the sugar refinery here in the Savannah area.  Worked with a lady whose family was part of that migration.  She never spoke about them making cane syrup for their own use.  Also, there were a number of cane mills (small ones) along the Georgia coast.  Interesting.  I'd be game for some, just let me know how you want to do it.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

BradMarks

Steen's cane syrup, comes in a can. It's good (and strong flavored). Not your Mrs. Butterworths :D

thecfarm

Walmart has it. I don't think I can buy it off the shelf in my area,but I will be looking for it. When I read it's good for making pecan pie,that got my attention.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!