iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally starting the harvest

Started by nativewolf, October 06, 2017, 09:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

We've been waiting since July on our logger to arrive and get work.  I tried giving the job away, only 13-15 acres of mostly pulp with some sawlog poplar and cherry. 

Anyhow, today he brought over his skidder, loader to follow on Monday and he opened a small opening to place the loader.  Few trees sacrificed, including this 17" cherry. 

This Yellow Poplar and Cherry also had to go.

Everything is getting cut and what does not get cut gets mulched.  The poor logger is desperate to move the smaller materials as they'll be a lot of it and the pulp mills are suddenly full after 7 weeks of drought.  If the rains had continued he'd have been able to move it.  Now he's hoping firewood buyers will take it. 

I like my loggers so he's getting a good deal.  Cherry had some nice color, sap wood a bit large on the one log.  The tree heights are almost 100' on the YP and 80 on the Cherry.  The Cherry saw logs are 32' and the yellow poplar was still 12" at 60'.  Wish there were more that size.  Very little heart on it.

The YP was 47 years old and the Cherry was 42 (that we could count).  My youngest son and I will be creating site index maps for the plot, it will be useful going forward in a new life as a upick blueberry farm.  Nothing like biologically proven site index table. 

Next step will be getting VTech up to formally measure the Chestnut Oak and get it ranked, might be the largest in the state. 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Skidder by a multi-stem Black Cherry.  Lots of small volunteer sweet cherry too.  Not sure why but there is a big difference splitting the non-native sweet cherry (hard to split) vs the black cherry (easy splitting). 
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

Good luck with the upick blueberries.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Thanks, luck is always better than skill, right  :D. 

Wish I had a better market for all this small wood, as is I'm going to be mulching a ton of hardwood firewood/pulp. 

I've got 20-30 nice locust poles to pull out, trees were 80' and diameters 12-24".  Really nice poles and I'll market them to Hops growers. 

Cherry is all for the logger, as is the YP. 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!