iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New looking at bandmills

Started by ArkansasRick, October 04, 2017, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasRick

I have been reading past posts and getting a lot of good information. I owned a circle mill back in the late 70's thru the 80's. Friction feed mill with a 56" Simonds blade built around a Farquhar 3 headblock carriage.  It was built by a fellow who Pacific Island jumped during WW11 getting mills up and going, training a crew how to operate and maintain them, then he was off to the next island to repeat the process. I powered the mill with a 2 stroke Detroit. It had a straight exhaust going thru the roof and sticking up about 6' above the ridge. Neighbors on a mountain top 7 miles away could hear that old Detroit sing. We had teams of horses out of Quarter Horse mares and Percheron studs we logged with. The horses and an old "loggers dream" winch mounted on a Korean War era 6X6 made up our logging equipment. I have kicked my self for years for letting that mill get away. The mill was a family operation, when folks used to ask why I sold the mill my answer was I had to.... I got my off-bearer pregnant and she quit.  That mill could take a slice off a 20' cant you could see thru.  And that is no credit to myself but to the guy who put it togther.

I recently retired from truck driving and am going to be buying a bandmill soon. doing lots of reading and research, pretty much narrowed my search to an older hydraulic mill. Woodmizer, Timber King used are a couple of brands I am looking at and have read good comments on the Timber Harvester mills pre setworks. Looking for a hydraulic mill, not much on computer setworks don't think. I have read on some of the posts a couple of problems with the Timber Harvester 30H mill was the bronze gear that raises and lowers the head and the cable pulley. Clouser Farm in Pa. has the gear, still scratching my head on the pulley fraying the cables.

Rick

warren46

i have run a Timber Harvester mill for about four years and not had any problem with the head raising and lowering drive but it is good to hear that there is an available replacement.

My mill has a chain drive for the head advance and return so I do not have an issue with the cable fraying.  Send me a PM if you would like pictures.

Waren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

paul case

Welcome to the forum Rick.

I have a couple wm lt 40 hydraulic mills and I like em.I know of some members of this forum in nw arkansas who also have mills, Wait a minute MCdonald county MO is not in Arkansas any more, oh well they are close.

My favorite place to look at mills is the sawmill exchange.com. I have never bought one there but they have a lot of pics and it will give you an idea what prices are like.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ArkansasRick!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ArkansasRick

Thanks, going to look at a Timber Harvester this weekend, price seems right and it has been modified to saw a little over 24'. Have a partner in this is wanting to put up a few cabins. The 24' capacity has to be a plus I would think? I have a metal working shop both of us are used to wrenching and fabricating. Understand most parts for the Timber Harvester are available. We have looked at Woodmizers great mills can get the TH for about 1/2 what we are seeing the 40 series Woodmizers. Will know more after looking at it.
Thanks!
Rick

WV Sawmiller

ArkyRick,

Good luck on finding your mill and thanks for the trip down memory lane. I assume when you find the new mill you will have better luck with your helper this time and she can stick it out better.

I was in Africa years ago on a private boat trip up to some remote villages and came across a women and 2 fishermen in a big heavy plank boat. They had a bunch of catfish and sting rays they had caught on trotline (I guess the water was tidal/brackish to have both in the same place) and the woman was paddling the big heavy boat up a pretty swift current with the men kicked back and relaxed. She looked to be at least 7 months pregnant and I remember thinking then "These Africans really know how to live." Reminded me of the old observation that when the Europeans came to America they found the Indian men just hunted and fished while the women did all the heavy work around the camp. And to think - The Europeans thought they could improve on this arrangement. Boy were they wrong. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ArkansasRick

Got about a 7' walnut log with what should be a nice crotch end loaded on the old Cummins. Headed out tomorrow early on a 250 mile trip to check out a Timber Harvester 30H mill.It will be my first experience with a band mill.
Rick

MbfVA

This Forum has a for sale section as well. The nice thing is that the 5% charge goes to the maintenance of the forum.

I like dealing with other forum members; somehow seems more comfortable than the total strange aspect of SMX.  Hey, you can check their old FF posts to see if they ever complained of trouble with their mill!  smiley_hanged

The improvements here that I'd like to see: 1- Better maintenance by sellers when the product is SOLD (come on, folks, we should not have to post to find that out!) and 2- Better search capability, since unsold items fall back into the ether of the forum after a very short while.  Putting key words in advs then will be a big help to searching buyers.

I'll point out the same problem occurs on the SM Exchange.  There is a TK 2200 still on there that was sold in April per the owner; we went to see it right before then.  He just does not want to pay the commission, my guess.

Don't neglect manufacturer sites--we met our seller via the Peterson company site.  Er...the seller has not removed it there, either.

Craigslist, of course but less likely for the big ones you are considering, though I have seen some big circle mills advertised there.
www.ordinary.com (really)

ArkansasRick

In Missouri long day removing my just bought Timber Harvester mill from it's shed resting place for the last 20 years or so. Reunited it with it's axle. Bought the mill, an edger, sharpener/setter and an early 80's Ford Industrial 445 forklift. Tried to put some pictures up it (posting pictures on here) ain't working for me. Need to get a 6 year old to show me how.
Rick

killamplanes

I saw that mill advertised hope it serves you well. The whole package 1 stop can't beat that...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

drobertson

Really hoping the best for you, if you have run the circle mills, then you know the drill, I just hope the price was right,  I scanned the you tube on these mills,, I'm sure like most they work with the right operator, you must like working on stuff as much getting some stock from an old walnut,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ArkansasRick

I watched the YouTube videos on these mills. I read all I could find. A problem I read about the mid 90's Timber Harvester was the cables wearing. I talked with several people and the previous owner of my mill showed me how he winds the cable around the pully so the cable feeds off the left side of the pully on the advance and from the right side of the pully when returning the saw after the cut. With 2 wraps of cable on the pully the  cable feeding off the bottom and the way it is wrapped hopefully will keep it from rubbing against its self. Previous owner said and I believe him a cable lasts him a long time. I will find out! The second negative issue I read about was the bronze worm gear for the head advance. A place in Pennsylvania (something Farm?) has the replacement. I am going to order one for a spare but the one on the mill looks good. Sure I am in for a schooling on these, like I said new to the bandsaw world so lots of learning and I am sure some frustration ahead.
Rick

drobertson

sounds like you enjoy the projects,  hobbies are a good thing, keep us updated,,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Congrats Arky, are you planning to sharpen your own bands.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ArkansasRick

Yes I got a sharpener and a setter with the mill. Should be set up, got a early 80's Ford Industrial Forklift that looks to be in good shape. The mill with 25hp Kohler, a bed extension to saw a little over 24', the sharpener/setter, box of new blades and a Bell Saw edger. Got everything and a couple days help from the previous owner for $8750. I have a friend buys and sell equipment said the forklift is worth at least half what I gave.
Rick

paul case

That does sound like a good deal.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

I have spent time tailing on a TH and consider them the full equal of some of the better known mills. Most of, if not all, band saw manuf. are small and would not cut their own gears they would buy a standard. A company like Boston gear would likely have them in stock. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!