iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trouble turning 36" red oak log. with lt40 Super.

Started by flatrock58, October 03, 2017, 10:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

After I said I would not cut any more large trees we got a call from the city asking if we wanted a large red oak.  It was such a nice log I could not resist.  It is 36" diameter and about 9' long.  Online calculator estimated the weight at around 4000 lbs.  I have a Kubota 43hp LT40 Super.  The log turner would not turn the log without help form the clamp and it still was a challenge.  I thought I had read other post of people saying they had problems turning logs, but was not sure if they had LT40 super or not.  I just wanted to make sure my hydraulics were performing as they should.  I was able to load the log fine just had a hard time turning it.  Any input from other LT40 super owners would be appreciated.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

4x4American

I've had some big some buckin logs on my '15 40 super and it never had a problem moving the log with the claw turner...whether or not it moved the log the way I wanted it to go, now that's something else lol
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

I don't have a super, just a regular LT40, but turn oak logs much bigger than that, quite often.  I have to sometimes manually set the claw to the side of the log to turn it, as opposed to lift it, which doesn't work.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

OlJarhead

Did some shorter but fatter Red Oak on my LT40HD with no problem....even turned some monster walnuts without issue...can't say they were that heavy (now I'm going to go check)....do you have claw or chain turner?  I thought the LT40 Super had chain.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

This one was not quite as heavy but turned fine...notice the side supports ;)  It did take me about 4 hours to mill though ;)

This one weighed around 3700lbs....I did have an issue with it due to a large branch 'hook' and had to offload it with an excavator, trim that dam horn off and then put it back up....took me 6 hrs to mill this monster down but that had something to do with the SEVEN nails I hit!  :o :o :o
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Brucer

The claw turner should be able to handle it. Is there anything hanging up on the side stops?

When I had trouble turning some big, heavy Douglas-Fir logs on my old manual mill, I tried splashing some soapy water on the bed rails and side stops. It worked like a charm.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

drobertson

Yes I have had the same issues with a few big'uns, 36-39"  they required some trim work, and I had to use the clamp as well. I figured it was a hanging up thing as mentioned. just a little jostle and it went on around. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

slider

You might want to check your grounds. I had a similar problem once and it was poor ground at the battery.
al glenn

terrifictimbersllc

I have a 2001 LT40 super 42 Kubota. Logs are near the weight limit when my loader speed slows down. In my experience those logs need both clamp and claw to turn as you notice. In other words the claw is the most sensitive to maxing out in weight not the loader. Of course it depends whether they're bumpy or smooth round, and the claw is stronger the more outside the log it is, providing it grabs.

I am positioning a large log in the center of the throat opening with the stops part way down, taking advantage of each position to cut as much off as possible. Also cutting every 45 degrees usually, once the flat reaches the bottom then successive 45 turns are more stable and easy. 

Learned to scoot the back end over by bumping the rear roller up and down while the clamp is trying to push it. Also keeping cool and not making mistakes always watching where the clamp and claw are not trying them blind.  And  using a peavey to push the log ends one way or the other when necessary.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PA_Walnut

I have had TREMENDOUS problems with big logs that are too short.  >:(
Try to roll it and end scoots out past uprights, falls down in, etc.
It's the pain that makes firewood!

As long as the log(s) are long enough, it rolls them fine.

On my LT40 wide, I have noted blade tension dropping on super-wide cuts. Have to crank it tighter and tighter. Any thoughts about this?

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

There is no way that I can or ever could turn a 36" log of any species with only the claw turner on my LT40Super.  I had to use the clamp in tandem with the turner last week with a 33" sixteen foot Pine log.

I raise both the turner and clamp together and then lower the clamp.  The weight of the log against the turner will gradually nudge the log around. 

I do not view this as a design problem but a matter of simple geometry.  The clamp is only extending where the turner is doing much more work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

This oak was a perfectly round red oak log 9' long with rough bark.  The claw turner would not move it much if any.  The log clamp would barely pick it up an inch or two.  I managed to get it turned by using the clam and claw turner and roller toe boards, but it was not fun.  The clamp would get in a bind and would not go up or down when it did.  I will have to check the hydraulic pumps and ground.  I was thinking that it used to work better but most of the logs I cut are not near that big.

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Since that log weighed close to 4K pounds and you loaded it OK, you virtually eliminated any possible problem with your hydraulics. 

I would know without trying, that turning that log would require using both the turner and the log clamp in tandem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

Magicman I guess I cant argue with your logic.  I was just getting frustrated with the time it took to cut this log and wanted to make sure that I didn't have a problem.  I guess the problem is just the log is too big.  My tractor would not pick it up either!
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

terrifictimbersllc

I'm not thinking either that  you have a problem unless you're thinking that 36" logs should be fun.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I have a road trip scheduled for the 13th to saw one log.  "Log" is being kind because it actually is a huge limb that splintered out of the top of a ~5' diameter Water Oak.  I went by and took a look at the "log" and it is not pretty.  It is not exactly straight, had a ~20" branch about half way, and is easily ~36".  The butt still has the tapered/splintered end.  After trimming it to length and making it light enough to load, I will still have to deal with turning and whittling that monster down.  The cut list is for "hobby" woodworking lumber. 

The entire ordeal will be "hourly rate", so whatever happens....happens.  The customer will be driving from Dallas, TX. to meet me at the location.  He said that he had budgeted $500 for the project and will adjust the figure upward as necessary.  Heck my travel & setup will cost him $105.

flatrock58

Terrifictimbersllc I don't consider it anything close to fun.  Now once we had it all whittled down it was some of the prettiest lumber I have ever cut.  That part was fun.

Magicman, The last tree we got from the city was a 38" water oak.  It did not yield much nice lumber.  Even though it is supposed to be in the red oak family the wood is just not as good.  Hope it goes well.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Even though it is a Red Oak I would never ever saw Water Oak for myself.  I even avoid it for firewood.

Sentimental reasons sometime makes folks do what I consider foolish things, but of course they pay the same.

drobertson

Flatrock,, for me that log looks like a gem, the only issue I see is finding room for all the flitches coming off,, I know back when my son Bret helped me after the first big one, he started laying flitches on the log deck, without me even saying a word, them big ones make a pile of lumber, and over again when edging.  I am thinking you are sure you have a good fluid level?  It could be a simple thing, other than a very heavy log. ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

You probably know this, but it sometimes helps on the big ones to pull the claw out with a rope or strap so that it's doing more turning and less lifting.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

flatrock58

drobertson.  I will have to check the fluid level again. I have not checked if for a month or two.  Ga Mtn Man.  I didn't know about using a rope to pull it out.  A lot of times the claw clamp would actually push the far end of the log out and not turn it. 

Even though the wood was really nice and almost all clear, I could have sawn the same amount of wood from 3 smaller logs in half the time or less.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Yes, sometimes a rope will allow you to place the claw exactly where you want it.

Peter Drouin

Never had trouble with that, always turn for me. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

alanh

Claw? Clamp? being a manual guy I had to make a widget, only a 1500 lb atv winch but make a complete wrap with the cable and it rolls `em all. I made the mount from a 2" receiver with a pin so I can vary the height

Thank You Sponsors!