iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter saw or flat saw pecan

Started by Coltbodi, October 03, 2017, 09:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltbodi

I have a pecan tree I'm about to cut down and use the wood to make a counter top with. I'm going to bring it to a kiln and let them dry it. All the pecan stuff I have looked at online appears to be flat sawn. I'm curious what it looks like quarter sawn. I'm not to worried about cupping, since it will be dried in the kiln there shouldn't be to much cupping and it won't take to many boards to make this countertop, so I will have plenty of some do cup.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

paul case

Pecan can be pretty but it is the  smiley_devil

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

xlogger

I'm going out to finish up cutting 23 pecan logs I got this morning. If I don't see another pecan for awhile that will be fine.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

scsmith42

Usually pecan is prettiest when flat sawn.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

francismilker

I'm not sure there's another log on the planet that has more tension in it. A few years ago we had an ice storm that tumbled some mighty tall pecan trees and I'm still hacking away at em'. Whether wet or dry, hot or cold, or flat vs quarter sawing. I hate em' all!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Larry

Quote from: Coltbodi on October 03, 2017, 09:38:31 PM
I'm not to worried about cupping, since it will be dried in the kiln there shouldn't be to much cupping and it won't take to many boards to make this countertop, so I will have plenty of some do cup.

You should know flat sawn tends to cup.  Quarter sawn stays flat but likes to crook.

I like flat sawn especially if it has any interesting color.  You can saw it a little thick if you think warp will be a problem.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

IMHO flat and keep turning the cant with each cut

D

ely

I think like larry was saying, I get better results out of pecan with quarter sawn, but always with pecan I add about a half inch more to what I am expecting to need on the lumber, it just gives me more room in case it dries poorly... and I usually does for me. the kiln may let you get by with cutting closer to demensions that you need.

Coltbodi

Thanks. I'll probably just cut them at 1". Its just going to be for a counter top, so it doesn't matter If I have to plain them down to 5/8 or 1/2. They will be ontop of plywood, so they just need to look good, not be very strong.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

woodweasel

I saw it flat. I cut it thicker than I need. Put in the kiln, then run it thru my planer. Its testy, but beautiful wood. ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!