iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re thinking retirement

Started by petefrom bearswamp, October 03, 2017, 09:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Last spring I indicated that i was going to put the mill up for sale on October 10th the day after my 70 tenth birthday.
I have changed my mind as I still feel pretty good and love the sawdust sickness.
Even at that time my wife said she would believe my retirement when the mills tail lights disappear down the road.
She was right.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

Everyone's got to have something to do or you will just waste away...
Don't quit.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Darrel

I retired. That's when I bought my mill.  8)

The whole time I was a nurse I missed the sawdust in my pockets. Now that I once again have sawdust in my pockets I don't miss the bodily secretions, not even a little bit.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Grizzly

I read your post back then and thought the same as your wife. Didn't think you'd part with it! And I don't even know ya.  :)
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Percy

In 6 days, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I hope to be still milling when Im 80....Im on the FREEDOM 85 retirement plan and if I expand even more(not waistline, but equipment wise), Ill be working long after Im dead..... :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Sixacresand

Nothing on earth lasts forever, but I hope they have to pry my cold dead hand off the clamp lever.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Retirement,just pick your jobs.
I am looking forward to it. I want to be able to do what I want to do,when I want to do it. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Good on you. Just keep on killing those trees and making round wood square. I always said retirement was shifting gears and doing what you like to do instead of what you had to do.

When I hear about some old codger who died while hunting or fishing or working on his sawmill I figure he was a lucky man because he enjoyed life till the end.

My dad had a monument business and we put up monuments for hundreds of miles around us when I was growing up. I told my wife I'd much rather be cremated and scatter my ashes on the lake and around my deer feeder and have a memorial boat dock or such than a stone in a cemetery.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Good for you.  That means that I still do not know any sawyer that is retired.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I hope you don't work yourself too much and forget to make a cheese run.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks everyone.
Actually saw milling is my 8th career change.
Bill I no longer have the FL house but if you want cheese just PM me and I'll ship you some.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

TimGA

Glad to hear it, we all have to have something to get up in the morning and look forward to.
                         Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Chuck White

Good to hear, Pete!

As long as you still feel good about it, "Keep on Keepin' on"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

Good to hear Pete.

Personally I can't wait to retire so I can saw more!  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

bandmiller2

Its not what you do its how much you do, throttle back and enjoy what you like. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sealark37

The two sawyers who taught me most of what I know sawed on the day before they passed away.  Regards, Clark

schakey

Happy birthday young man. 8)
Been retired for a year now,after working for ODOT as a winter seasonal,snow plow driver, worked on the house this summer. Next spring plan to start on our
Property in West Virginia,so time to get serious on getting a sawmill.
Retirement is great!
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

Ouch, just as i decided not to retire, I got some distressing news from my doc.
Had a little blood in my urine and a pretty good sized hernia show up last week.
Lifted a heavier than usual slab which must have something to do with it.
Having both checked out next week and have been directed to not lift more than 10 pounds.Yeah right.
will take it easy for a while but still NO retirement.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Keep us updated my friend.  You know the old saying about getting "older" is not for sissies.  You ain't so stay tough. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

francismilker

I look forward to retiring so I can work the job I want to.

My plans are to snowbird a bit. I'm looking at sawing in SE OK during Fall, Winter, and Spring. During the Summer I have a dream of being a Chaplain for a canoeing outfitter in Northern MN in the Boundary Waters. Never had a day there in the summer that it was too hot to fish!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

dgdrls

Gonna have to get more automation Pete ;)

Great news on your decision,
Will you fill us in on the past 7 careers?

Best
D

Thank You Sponsors!