iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member newbie questions

Started by Drifter27, October 01, 2017, 02:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drifter27

Hello everyone. I'm not a logger or tree trimmer, I work for a power company. For the past couple years my job has included clearing service lines with branches on them and clearing services that have been torn down by branches or down trees. I'm confident in my tree cutting ability but have no problem making a phone call to get full time professional trimmers to do the work if it's justified. I've cut down several 20" plus or minus diameter locust trees on my parents property where space was a big concern with no issue. I've stopped small time tree trimmers at work from hurting themselves after seeing what happens if I give them the benefit of doubt.

If I can describe my tree cutting ability in a few sentences it only goes to show how little I know compared to those that do it for a living. Which brings me to my question.

I have a basically new ms261cm. Everywhere I look it says a muffler mod is nothing but good, better for power and better for the saw in general. I'd likely never notice the power increase as its not used every day but if it keeps the motor cooler and makes it last longer I'm all for it. My question is how much is too much and will too much be detrimental? Thanks

Ianab

For a newbie, I would say just leave the saw stock (and keep the warranty). Concentrate on your cutting technique, chain sharpening and safety. (gear and practices).

Having a saw that's 10% faster doesn't help if the chain isn't sharpened right, or you worst case, you drop a tree on yourself, or get cut up by a chain.

I'm not a professional logger, so I haven't messed with my saws. Just keep them sharp and clean, and they work like they should. It's the hazard ID, and safety that I worry about more.

Now the guys that have all that sorted, and use their saws to make a living? Yeah they can get a bit more performance from their saws, which means more trees cut in a day, and more $ in the pocket. Can't argue with that.

But until you get all the basic stuff sorted... Most folks get a bigger gain from a properly sharpened chain.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Savannahdan

I agree with Ianab.  If you are dead set on doing a mod I'd recommend you find an old saw and experiment on it.  If you know bare minimum on chainsaw work the old one will be a learning tool so that you're prepared when you have do something with your newer ms261cm.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

thecfarm

Drifter27,welcome to the forum.
I would not do anything to my saw. I like it the way it is. Yes,some really know what they are doing and get a little more out of a saw. Some just think they know.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Drifter27

Thank you for the replies. I don't think I'd ever notice any power increase but isn't a muffler mod good for the saw? I want to do everything I can to make it last

ZeroJunk

If you do open the muffler you will need to increase the fuel, run it richer, to compensate for the extra air going through. On new saws that is another problem to deal with as most of them seem to come as rich as they will go against the limiters.

Drifter27

Will the m tronic system automatically adjust that?

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Drifter27 on October 01, 2017, 07:57:31 PM
Will the m tronic system automatically adjust that?

It should but I would say only to a certain extent. There would be certain parameters built around the on-board chip that allows for some fine tuning dependent on certain variables around the saw, but as a guess i would say it has it's limitations so I wouldn't over do it. We really need someone savvy to reverse engineer it to find out what those parameters might be, and then maybe add a little more to it by either flashing it or adding new chips/board. Don't look at me, I'm not cannibalizing my new saw, as a retiree I've spend enough time saving for a new saw to tinker with it. Removing the spark arrestor may give you a guide as to whether the saw may benefit from opening the exhaust fins a little. Just my 2c worth.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Greenerpastures

Hi, good advise already given, leave your saw until it is out of warranty.
Then yes, muffler mod is good to keep your saw cooler, it will be able to
breath more easily, and produce a little more power, but do get someone
with the correct diagnostic equipment to re tune your saw, there will be scope
to do this within the saws software, its not like you ported it or changed timing,
which I would avoid.
For now take out spark arrestor and have a look to see it is clear and not causing
the saw any breathing difficulty, I keep mine out so the saw can breath, as I am
waiting until the warranty is up before a muffler mod, and that is as far as I will go, if I
need more power I would get a bigger saw, different story though if I were cutting for
a living and at it 5 days a week, then a smaller lighter saw modified would be better suited.

Happy sawing & Regards, john

ZeroJunk

I had not considered the m tronic since those saws have not gotten around to me yet.

But, if you search MS261 muffler mods you will find a lot of YouTube videos and what not with nothing mentioned about any modifications to the m tronic system. So, I think (being dangerous words) that other than going through the initial procedure again that the temperature sensors will work just the same adjusting the fuel appropriately.

Drifter27

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the responses. I'm not the best communicator and I'll have a ton more questions then comments so I hope ya can bear with me. It seems not doing anything is the way to go for now. Thanks again for your input

Weekend_Sawyer

I have the MS 261CM. Love this saw. I have run about 10 tanks of fuel through it so far.
mine has a 2 year warranty so I'm not modding it in any way.
This saw replaced my 028 which replaced my 029.
This saw is much better than those saws. more powerful and lighter.
I was cutting a 16" white oak yesterday and was amazed how it was just powering through it.

Personally I'd run it and be happy with it.

and welcome to the forum!  8)
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!