iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to put house wrap on board and batten pole barn.

Started by flatrock58, September 30, 2017, 09:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

I am building a pole barn and plan to use house wrap to seal out moisture and air.  I had planned to attach it to the post and then place the 2x4 slats over the house wrap.  The board and batten would attach to the slats leaving a gap of 1 1/2" between the house wrap and the siding.  The down side to this method is there will be a 1 1/2" gap between the house wrap and the siding for bugs and varmints to nest.

I looked at a barn down the road and he had wrapped it with house wrap but it was put on after the slats.  The house wrap is in direct contact with the board and batten siding.  Will this cause a problem by not letting the siding dry when it gets wet?

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

69bronco

House wrap is designed to "breathe". I would install over purlins/ under siding.

flatrock58

69bronco.  The only problem is that I plan on using spray foam on the inside of the house wrap that will make it where it can't breath.  i guess it will still work!
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

tmbrcruiser

I built a pole building for my mill and sided it with board and batten. Used Tyvek over the purlins next to the siding.

Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Trahlin

If you are going to foam it from the inside, why bother with wrap?  Maybe it is a code requirement.  I would make sure my siding is dried (not fresh off the mill) before I applied foam. 
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

Magicman

True, there won't be any breathing through the foam, but I would still place it so that if any of the siding ever had to be removed/replaced, it would not be "glued" on. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

Thanks for the reply's.  I am more of a woodworker than a builder. 
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

rjwoelk

I 2x what mm says. You need to separate the foam from the replaceable siding. Now you need to check if the foam will stick to the house wrap. Check with the foam guy.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

flatrock58

I had already been told that the foam wont stick to house wrap.  But it sticks to wood so it will stick to the 6x6 post and purlins.  I was going to use the house wrap so it would not stick to the metal siding and board and batten and seal any cracks that the foam missed.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

rjwoelk

You mentioned metal siding?
The foam will stick to metal. Just the perlins and 6x6 are not enough to hold the foam. Has the applicator seen what you want to do?
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!