iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Cedar for the Wood-Mizer

Started by 123maxbars, September 30, 2017, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Living in a small community and being a former cop (15 years service) has its perks when  you know almost everyone. Got a call from a friend wanting to get rid of some big ERC trees.  I had to cut them above the fence line, the bottom of the tree had barn wire growing right through the middle of it. By doing this I hope that I avoided the metal in the rest of the logs, Made for some pretty good free timber, and he used his tractor for all moving/loading. This was on a 400 acre farm in VA about 20 miles from my home. Some interesting history about this farm: Maybelle Carter of the famous Carter Family was born on this farm and her parents are buried about 20 yards from where I was working. The land owner said before they died Johnny Cash and June Carter would come every year to put flowers on the graves.

Anyways I have been in a video making mood lately and filmed some of the days work. The intro credit goes to the great Paul Harvey, sure miss that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ushj-a32u8
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Latex paint is not worthless as an end-sealer, but close  :).

I would take the nicest butt logs where there is no rot and live edge slab them 9/4 (2 3/8").  The value of these slabs here in my area is higher per bf than 4/4.  Like you suggested, then saw out 4/4 out of the smaller logs as well as some posts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Danny, I agree with you on the cedar slabs.  The wood-mizer turns into a money printing machine when producing wide, rot-free cedar slabs.  John had some located that came down in Irma.  They were there on Friday morning but when we arrived Friday afternoon, someone had picked them out of the pile.  He said they were comparable to the quality and quantity that we brought home from Alabama a year and a half ago.  We still have a few Irma damaged cedars that we are holding out hope of procuring.

123, those are nice cedar trees.

Caveman

Wallys World

Nice logs, nice country. I was on a mission trip a couple of years ago based out of Nicklesville and we were working just past Mendota putting a chain link fence around an old cemetery. It was the family matriarchs wish before she died. Nice folks to work around. I love the "bridge to nowhere" just before Mendota.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Thank You Sponsors!