iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reverse Parbuckling --- out of truck

Started by OffGrid973, September 29, 2017, 02:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

Anyone have a better idea besides cable and gas pedal to get these 8' out of the truck bed? I was told the hinge / gate is most likely not rated for more than 1k lbs, curious if anyone has tackled this without heavy machinery.

Feel free to reply with your piece of machinery performing this duty so I can drool, but honest answers are also appreciated.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Kbeitz

If you have a loader then lift one end and drive out.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OffGrid973

Loader is on the job putting them in, all me and cables at home
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Crusarius

remove the tailgate strap it and gun it. Just make sure you hit it hard enough so you don't destroy the bumper.

Thats not really being serious I would not do that.

You should be able to remove the tailgate slide the log to the edge of the truck then flip it end over and let it land on the ground. That should prevent any damage to the truck.

WV Sawmiller

I agree with the tailgate removal suggestion. You could slide a piece of 3/4" or thicker plywood under the logs to help protect the edge of the truck and the bumper then fasten a cable or strong rope around the logs and pull them out with an ATV, garden tractor or another vehicle or you could tie the other end of the cable around a handy tree and drive out from under them.

I usually load my logs on a trailer so don't worry about the tailgate or plywood issues although you still need to make sure they don't hang up on the lip there. If they do stop before you tear something out and roll a quarter turn or less with a cant hook and it will normally free itself. I unloaded 3 nice logs at our local HS last April by tying them to a nearby sycamore, driving out, rolling the logs out of the way with a cant hook, backing up and repeating 2 more times.

If you have a sloped area you can drive forward and let gravity help you slide them out. That is what I did with my last load yesterday here at home. Of course I am in WV so slopes are more common than level ground. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jemclimber

Lots of ideas, it depends on how elaborate you want to be, and how regular of an event this is.  You could use a rope winch to a pulley in a tree with a set of tongs. Set the tongs slightly off center and use the winch to hoist up most of the weight, then drive out and lower it.
   You could make a deck even with the height of the tailgate that you back up to and set the log on a few rollers (pipe) in the bed of the truck and just push them out by hand onto the deck..
lt15

nativewolf

If you truck was in the right driveway we'd have that darn walnut out of the truck in no time.  Learn to drive and follow directions.  I don't think you are even in the right state....sad sad the state of education today.
Liking Walnut

OffGrid973

Removing tailgate, good idea regardless of next step. (Check)

It used to be not so often but 5 times this year I had small loads which was easy to grab on lunch break since my tree guy(s) had smaller loaders to get them in and gate closed.

Building a deck seems logical just curious how they then hit the ground...more pullies and possible injury by smushing.

Flipping logs with roll technique seems most possible this afternoon just wondering how often the bumper is going to take shot even when plywood is used. Maybe wedge 3x3 against tarp tie down, vertically to the ground and give a slide for it to guide itself.

Keep the ideas coming if we missed anything.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

TKehl

1.  I like the tree limb as as overhead hoist.  Have done this before.
2.  Put the rear end in a ditch so the back end of the bed is low and pull logs out with come along.
3.  Winch out onto some heavy sawhorses or roller table then roll off the side of them.  I have some that would work you could borrow, but may be a bit of a drive.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

red

Make a Big Swing set with oversize timbers , then a chainhoist . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Darrel

After you get those logs out of that pickup box, sell that box and replace it with a flatbed.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

Stick a pulp hook in it and pull it out,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Stuart Caruk

Done this lots of times in the past with no damage.

Grab some short lengths of 2" pipe. Use a fulcrum and a long lever, pry up rear of log. Insert 2 or 3 sections of pipe 90 degrees to log underneath. Hook onto log with strong rope or chain. Tie other end to secure option. Drive away really slow until the log stats to be drug out, then hit it and keep moving. The log will scoot out the back and levitate for a sec before thumping to the ground. Just don't chicken out and stop half way through.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

TKehl

So... how long before you buy a trailer?   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

LeeB

Quote from: TKehl on September 30, 2017, 08:36:08 AM
So... how long before you buy a trailer?   ;)

I been wanting to suggest cutting losses and give away the truck and get a Dodge and a good trailer.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Revival Sawmill

Get going in reverse as fast as you can and slam the brakes.

OffGrid973

Trailer shows up end of October, my tree guy is getting his new replacement one built. 1,200 on a handshake a week ago, it's dual axle with pin hook, each axle rated at 10k.

Class V receiver hitch is $75 and is currently in route...I also have the 9k lbs harbor freight winch sitting in family room.  My only remaining items are the custom ramps and my firewood guy (who gets my cutoffs) is welding them up for me on barter. 

Only issue is I have rails around trailer cause built in storage exists, going to make the par buckle a little interesting.  I will try and take some pics next time I drive by it in the yard.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Crusarius

gww

When I loaded with a trailer with sides I did the same that I do with my truck.  I wrap a chain around the log and hook it to something heavy and then drive forward.  I have only did about three logs from the back of my truck and it did not damage the tailgate but it is probly a good ideal to take it off.  My truck is not new and I did not even think about it but also it did no damage.

I have seen post of loading on trailers with sides parbuckling and also having a set up that is basically a boom that swivils and lifts the logs while winching them forward.  I admit except for my tilt trailer that I pull with my atv, I have used a back hoe or tractor for loading.

I now have a 20 foot flat bed metal trailer that has no sides at all.  It is best for unloading cause I can mostly just use a log cant and get them rolled off of the sides.  One in a while when stacked two or three high with big logs, I am not man enough to roll them off and a tractor with a bucket to push them off is a god send.  The tractor is dads and not at my house all the time so I have used the cant more then the tractor.

Mostly, I am very low budget and don't have many tools and so have to do it the hard way.  I have a small battery winch now that helps but have did many with just a hand ratchet winch.  It is so hard and so slow but can be done.

I could never make a profit the way I do things but if it is a hoby to take your time up and to be able to do things for yourself.  It can be done.
Cheers
gww

Roundhouse

When needed more than once, oversized horses work pretty well. I built these years ago to fit over a pickup box. The legs on one size are hinged so I can store them inside the garage against the wall when not in use. I have not used them with massive logs and wouldn't recommend it. Even so, care should be taken when in use by staying outside the frames etc. Not the ultimate solution but not bad for under $50. They are also handy for loading a log into a truck, taking a cap off a truck by yourself and such.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

OffGrid973

This WINS by far.  I think I may have slightly bent the bottom last bit of the truck bed before the tailgate as I now see light when I don't remember that happening.  I am going to build one of these. And pics of it with logs when they hit the ground?  And do you use this to get logs on the trailer instead of the parbuckle
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Roundhouse

Quote from: cwimer973 on October 23, 2017, 10:32:19 PM
This WINS by far.  I think I may have slightly bent the bottom last bit of the truck bed before the tailgate as I now see light when I don't remember that happening.  I am going to build one of these. And pics of it with logs when they hit the ground?  And do you use this to get logs on the trailer instead of the parbuckle

For these logs I had loaded them with a skid steer a couple hundred miles away from where I unloaded them. I have loaded a log into a truck with these in the past. I could drop all the way to the ground by releasing the rachets but normally set the logs onto cribbing. Here are some pictures showing them in use. The first log was put on cribbing, the second I actually backed my mill under the log and then set it down onto the mill before cutting it. Once that one was cut I put some beams between the cribbing and the mill and rolled the log across.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Crusarius

good thing you took your tailgate off.

if you bent your bed, your tailgate would have been much worse.

I like the giant sawhorse setup but I think I would switch out to come alongs or something with more length. May even be able to get away with a hand winch.

drobertson

Roundhouse!!! 8) 8)  this one here is just plane flat the bomb,  well thought out,, L of a good idea,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!